AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adjusting bid amounts on modified broad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick question...

I'm doing manual bidding and set a default amount for each KW during campaign creation. All KW are modified broad (for now). All campaigns are paused. I then enable the following two columns - 'Estimated First Page Bid' and 'Estimated Top Page Bid'.

I now compare my default bid amount with the amount Adwords shows in the 'Estimated First Page Bid' column. The 'Estimated Top Page Bid' column is empty.

Because the KW are all modified broad do I now adjust my default bid amount to at least match the amounts shown in my 'Estimated First Page Bid' column? I ask because with an exact match KW I would obviously do this but should this be done when KW's are modified broad?

Also, taking the above into account what should my approach be to change my default bid amount to get the correct bid amount for my 'Estimated Top Page Bid' amount since that column is empty?

Hope I made sense. Please ask if you need clarification. 

Thanks all.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adjusting bid amounts on modified broad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @John R;

The recommended approach would be "trail and error". (i.e "test and adjust")

You should modify your bid, but remember that first page estimate, as the name indicates, is a statistical estimate, which could have a broad margin of error.   I would take this number with a "grain of salt ": higher the bid, but not that much, and test until I get impressions.

Having said that, remember that to get the ad shown QS also plays a role. So, while keeping one eye on  the bid, keep your other  eye on  on the QS.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI @MosheTLV;
Thanks for the reply. I have chosen to ignore the 'Estimated Top Page Bid' for now but I have matched all the bid amounts in my 'Max CPC' column with that of the bid price reflected in the 'Estimated First Page Bid' column. I'll keep an eye on what happens and adapt as I go.

The 'Estimated Top Page Bid' column is empty anyway, so there's no way for me to see what that amount is. However, a curious thing did happen. In one of the campaigns when I up the bid price per keyword to match the suggested bid price in the 'Estimated First Page Bid' column a price immediately appears in the 'Estimated Top Page Bid' column but when I do an Excel export of the data the 'Estimated Top Page Bid' column inside the excel sheet remains at zero and when I click away from this campaign and go back to it that 'Estimated Top Page Bid' column has returned to being blank. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks for the assistance.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@John R;

Honestly IO don't pay much attention to "estimated" bids since, as I mentioned, the margin of error  could be wide, and this could lead to "over building", quite easily. Thus, I would rather  test myself in the method I explained in my previous reply.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’