2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adgroups geographic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure how to use geotargeting for a florist business...I want to target yorkshire and narrowed down small towns within etc e.g Wortley, Leeds, York

what would be the best way to set it up?

1) setup a campaign targeting certain area? e.g Yorkshire. then use generic broad keywords such as 'florists'

2) setup a campaign targeting the whole of the UK but only use exact match keywords e.g. 'florists in leeds' 'florists in york' ?

Do both to test what works best? Can some one please help? im confused?

Can some one check what I also do?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Adgroups geographic

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Knowledge,
Although it takes more time to set up, and some may think it's overkill, when geographically targeting I like to set up two Campaigns -

• One that would include just geo-modified Keywords and targeted towards a broader geographic region
  • One targeted locally without geo-modified Keywords

For your example, I would build two Campaigns - 

• One targeted towards the whole UK and all the Keywords would include a geo-modifier.  Such as: florists in leeds, florists in york, yorkshire florists, etc.
  • One Campaign targeted just to the geo-graphic areas where your shops are located.  For these Keywords I would not include any geo-modifiers, just the basic florist keywords.

Hope this helps!

A link to an article I wrote on this topic -  

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Use-AdWords-to-Attract-More-Local-Customers/ba...

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Let me ping one of out Top Contributors who is from your area and is  familiar with the issues of targeting small locations in the UK;

@Jon_Gritton 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
IMO , it depends on your goals. If you want to attract visitors from all across the UK that type in the related keyword "florists in york" , then you should target the campaign to all of UK and setup different match types for this keyword. If you only want visitors from Yorkshire seeing your ad then you can target you campaign only to that area, however if you do this , is someone from London for instance types in your related keyword, they will not be able to see your ad and you will lose that potential customer. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Vineesh..
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Knowledge,
Although it takes more time to set up, and some may think it's overkill, when geographically targeting I like to set up two Campaigns -

• One that would include just geo-modified Keywords and targeted towards a broader geographic region
  • One targeted locally without geo-modified Keywords

For your example, I would build two Campaigns - 

• One targeted towards the whole UK and all the Keywords would include a geo-modifier.  Such as: florists in leeds, florists in york, yorkshire florists, etc.
  • One Campaign targeted just to the geo-graphic areas where your shops are located.  For these Keywords I would not include any geo-modifiers, just the basic florist keywords.

Hope this helps!

A link to an article I wrote on this topic -  

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Use-AdWords-to-Attract-More-Local-Customers/ba...