AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adgroups and structure

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello guys.

Just a quick question, I am creating a new campaign using the brand of my products and I was thinking about creating 7 adgroups to better target each product category and make the ads more relevant for each one of them.

Do you guys reckon that it's a good idea or the number of the adgroups is too high?

Thanks

Oscar

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Adgroups and structure

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Oscar.

Regardless of any numbers, the number of related keyword groups you're planning on targeting should give you the total number of ad groups.

That is because you will need, in order to stay relevant, ads which are related to your search queries. And any search query, should be able to trigger ads from one ad group alone. If they start triggering ads from several ad groups, you will no longer be able to control what message you're displaying for what query.

So just split your keywords into related groups, and you'll see the number of ad groups you need.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PremioOscar
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Oscar 

The number campaigns and adgroups can be very small or large, however your exact number will come from the keyword research you conduct.

For Search:

Keyword research creates your groups of themes for each product or service

These groups can be further refined into smaller groups by focusing on the intent of the words/phrases within the group.

You match up these tightly themed adgroups to landing pages that directly respond to the intent of the words.

Use broad, Phrase and Exact matching.

For content

You go through the same process, however here you do not need matching types.

Most adgroups work best when the keyword sets consist of about 10-20 keywords.

Be sure to use negative keywords at both the campaign and adgroup level to further refine which ads are shown for very specific searches.

Campaign: 3D Printers

Adgroup 1: Intent General research: KW: 3D printers

Adgroup 2. Intent Filtering: KW: 3D Printer Reviews

Adgroup 3. Intent comparison: KW: Price of 3D Printers

Adgroup 4. Intent purchase: KW: "Cubify 3D Printers under $100", "Free shipping for 3D printer"

Campaign Negatives: KW: laser printers, ink jet printers, printer ink, "3D Plastic Printers"

Campaign 3D Plastic Printers

Adgroup 1: Intent General research: KW: 3D plastic printers

Adgroup 2. Intent Filtering: KW: 3D Printer plastic Reviews

Adgroup 3. Intent comparison: KW: Price of 3D plastic Printers

Adgroup 4. Intent purchase: KW: Cubify 3D plastic Printers under $100

Negatives: "3D Printer Stores", "print 3D Models online"

Campaign: 3D Printer Stores

Campaign: Print 3D Models Online

That is a very quick and rough outline for an example, but I hope it conveys the point.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Oscar,

7 adgroups is fine enough. Just make sure you have less keywords for each ad groups. This would allow you to manage it well.

Siva
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Oscar.

Regardless of any numbers, the number of related keyword groups you're planning on targeting should give you the total number of ad groups.

That is because you will need, in order to stay relevant, ads which are related to your search queries. And any search query, should be able to trigger ads from one ad group alone. If they start triggering ads from several ad groups, you will no longer be able to control what message you're displaying for what query.

So just split your keywords into related groups, and you'll see the number of ad groups you need.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PremioOscar
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Oscar 

The number campaigns and adgroups can be very small or large, however your exact number will come from the keyword research you conduct.

For Search:

Keyword research creates your groups of themes for each product or service

These groups can be further refined into smaller groups by focusing on the intent of the words/phrases within the group.

You match up these tightly themed adgroups to landing pages that directly respond to the intent of the words.

Use broad, Phrase and Exact matching.

For content

You go through the same process, however here you do not need matching types.

Most adgroups work best when the keyword sets consist of about 10-20 keywords.

Be sure to use negative keywords at both the campaign and adgroup level to further refine which ads are shown for very specific searches.

Campaign: 3D Printers

Adgroup 1: Intent General research: KW: 3D printers

Adgroup 2. Intent Filtering: KW: 3D Printer Reviews

Adgroup 3. Intent comparison: KW: Price of 3D Printers

Adgroup 4. Intent purchase: KW: "Cubify 3D Printers under $100", "Free shipping for 3D printer"

Campaign Negatives: KW: laser printers, ink jet printers, printer ink, "3D Plastic Printers"

Campaign 3D Plastic Printers

Adgroup 1: Intent General research: KW: 3D plastic printers

Adgroup 2. Intent Filtering: KW: 3D Printer plastic Reviews

Adgroup 3. Intent comparison: KW: Price of 3D plastic Printers

Adgroup 4. Intent purchase: KW: Cubify 3D plastic Printers under $100

Negatives: "3D Printer Stores", "print 3D Models online"

Campaign: 3D Printer Stores

Campaign: Print 3D Models Online

That is a very quick and rough outline for an example, but I hope it conveys the point.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your replies guy, they help me to create a new campaign structure.

Regards

Oscar