AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adgroup Structure Question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am working on an account I inherited for a college. The account ad groups are broken down into programs such as "accounting" and "IT" but also broken down further into "accounting - course", "accounting - training", "accounting - school".

Is this is worth doing? The account is very cluttered. I understand that by creating these highly targeted ad groups, the ads become more relevant. Another option I realize is to create campaigns and then create groups based on these targeted keywords -- this would at least make the account easier to maneuver. Although I am a little hesitant to do this as I will have to restructure my entire account.

I have also noticed that "course" & "school" are similar terms; "course" will show search queries for "school" and vise versa. 

Side Question: Has anyone ever done testing to see if a searcher will still click on "Accounting Course" for a search on "Accounting School"? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adgroup Structure Question

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jessi,

keeping your ad groups tightly themed is highly recommended, even it does look a little cluttered. You could perhaps restructure it slightly, say by increasing the number of campaigns and being a bit more specific about what type of ad groups go into each campaign for better organisation, but otherwise I would not combine ad groups to make things neater. Those tightly themed ad groups are highly benificial.

With regards to course triggering school and vice versa, I am thinking that that is happening because the terms are on braid match and the matching type is session based. Thus AdWords has identified that the user searching for course is interested in schools and that is what they are looking for etc. They should not trigger each other under normal circumstances as they are clearly different keywords. (I actually have an account that deals with accounting courses and have not seen what you refer to, except in the early days of keyword data mining (lots of BM) and as I stated earlier session based matches)

With regards to your side question it will all depend on the users intent. If I am looking for online courses then I would be less likely to click on an ad for an accounting school.

Hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
There is another factor worth considering and that is the landing pages. If you have different landing pages for the "course" keywords and another for the "school" keywords then the split is more than justified - as Clynton suggests the searches can be quite different in intent.

But if all this traffic is going to the one landing page then you will not be making the most of this themed structure and you might want to start reflecting this structure on the site.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The other thing to consider is losing some of the history on your keywords and ads when you move them to new campaigns or merge ad groups. This might result in a temporary increase in CPC, but assuming there is no change in CTR or performance and there is a fair amount of traffic it shouldn't last too long.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jessi T,
I think its better to create two campaigns, "accounting " and "IT". Under campaign "accounting " create ad groups "accounting - course", "accounting - training", "accounting - school".
So for the "accounting - course" ad group make sure your keywords & ads are related to accounting course and add "school" as negative keyword. And for the "accounting-school" ad group make sure your keywords & ads are related to accounting school and add "course" as negative keyword. This prevents your "accounting-course" ads from showing to users searching for accounting schools and also prevents your "accounting-school" ads from showing to users searching for accounting course.

For the side question, i haven't tested it.
Hope this is useful

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks everyone. Very helpful answers!!