AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adding a new image to existing ad groups causes ads not to be served

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experiencing a weird phenomenon where I have an ad group with some image ads (Google Display Network), which had about 50000 impression on one day. The next day I added an additional ads/image to this group. Whenever I added this new ads the number of impression for this ad group dropped significantly. My budget for this adgroup is $5/day and now it's only been used at $0.5. What is going on? Is this something that google does?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding a new image to existing ad groups causes ads not to be serv

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aditya,

Can you tell us how exactly you have structured the campaign? Do you have image and text ads combined in one ad group targeting Display Network or they are separate?

As far as best practices goes, its recommended to run both format of ads separately (i.e. text and image ads) because of that fact that both are different and the competition during the ad auction process varies in them due to size constaints. 

You might have to bid higher for your image ads as compared to regular text ads on Display Network to see their performance.

Pankaj