2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adding a manual placement stops all automatic placements

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a Search Network with Display Select Campaign, and went to ad some manual placements on an ad group. As soon as I did that, all the automatic placements generated from my keywords disappeared. I did some more testing, and it looks like you can only have all autogenerated or all manual placements, and not a mix for a given ad group. Is this right?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott D
June 2016

Re: Adding a manual placement stops all automatic placements

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

Hi @Scott D

As the bidding on Display Network is automated for SNDS campaigns, the idea of having both automatic and managed placements shouldn't work. It can only happen when you are allowed to use 'bid only' for the placement targeting.

Moreover, managed placements are there to allow us to bid on them differently. But, it's not the case in SNDS as we can't bid differently on different placements. Perhaps this is the reason when you add managed placements on SNDS, they would be treated as 'target & bid', and hence automatic placements should not be possible at the same time.

If you would like to have both automatic and managed placements, I would advise to have a separate Display Network Only campaign.

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

Are you running Search with Display (standard) OR Search with Display (all features)? Also note that you have automatic bidding for Display Network, there's no manual bidding you can do here. More details here:-

Screenshot_1.png

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
All features, thanks.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Scott, No , you may use both if we speak about Managed and Automatic placements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I thought, but when I ad a single manual placement to an ad group that has automatic placements, and the automatic placements go away and it only serves to the manual placement from then on.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
go away - please more detailed? they didn't receive any imp or something else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This placements list used to have about 20 websites listed. When I added one manual placement, all the automatically generated ones went away. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1b563puav8bead/Campaign_Management_%E2%80%93_Google_AdWords.jpg?dl=1

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi @pankaj1782,

Just a cross question here.
Though i always prefer a separate display campaign instead of Search + display (for better tracking, features and optimization) but here i also want to know whether system considers "bid only" or "Target and BId" targeting setting for multiple targeting for Search with display select. (as its automatic bidding for display in Search with display select which you have highlighted with the screenshot)

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Archit, I don't generally prefer to go with this coupled campaign because there's not much flexibility. My understanding would be to actually try this (since I haven't worked upon this type of campaign much) and implement and see if custom bid option is open or not. And if it is open, then for which particular campaign i.e. Search with Display all features or Standard.  

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Its fine, even me also do the same.
I was just asking generally what happens with the coupled campaign.

Thanks

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’