AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Add specific location to keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have my location set to a specific local (i.e, Tucson, AZ), do I specify "Tucson" in every keyword phrase as well.  Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Add specific location to keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen R,

I'm in Tucson, also.

No, you don't need Tucson in your keywords. If you have geo-targeted Tucson, the system is smart enough to recognize "Tucson" in the search query. Often, including the location name in the keywords results in "Low Search Volume", which means you will get no impressions.

If you only want to show your ad to people actually located physically in Tucson, be sure to set your targeting that way (do not include search intent) otherwise you will get impressions and clicks from people outside your target area who include "Tucson" in the search query. If you want those people too, include search intent.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;
In a sense this is redundancy; If you Geo-target Tucson by a zip code; or by city name - you do not need to include the Geo location in the keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen R,

I'm in Tucson, also.

No, you don't need Tucson in your keywords. If you have geo-targeted Tucson, the system is smart enough to recognize "Tucson" in the search query. Often, including the location name in the keywords results in "Low Search Volume", which means you will get no impressions.

If you only want to show your ad to people actually located physically in Tucson, be sure to set your targeting that way (do not include search intent) otherwise you will get impressions and clicks from people outside your target area who include "Tucson" in the search query. If you want those people too, include search intent.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords