5.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords to get the attention of an employer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to get the attention of an owner of a company when he google searches his name. I want my ad to appear on the top of the screen and open up to my resume and helpful information that will allow me to sell myself to the owner. What is the best way to do this? Any tips or help is much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Matt

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords to get the attention of an employer

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Matt;
Honestly; this is a neat idea. But, in our era of modern   recruiting process, hiring  is reserved to the professionals in the HR department. (Even in small companies).  I don't think Adwords is the platform to achieve this goal. My recommendation is to set  a  LinkedIn profile.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Matt,

Theoretically you might be able to do this if there is enough search volume on the Name of the employee to allow your ad to be seen.

Also how often will the Gentleman google his own name vs other people Googling His name and hit potentially your resume?

So not only are you potentially creating a negative reputation management issue for the NAME, you could be costing the guy business, creating a false representation, may get a cease and desist from Lawyers, a Law suit and a negative reputation yourself to boot from a stunt you clearly didn't think through.

Might have the adverse effects you desire, because If Someone Googled my name and saw your Resume, I would be put off, and not to happy ....

So as @MosheTLV mentioned a Linkedin profile would be nice, I have also seen people do a Youtube video and send the link to the Employer directly via email, contact us or via social media direct to gather intention, but grabbing a Search Spot or Top spot via Advertisement is a very risky move...because of all the searches for the guys name the general public might pursue.,,,

Make Sense?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

What you are trying to do is an idea done in past by someone else, so this wont fancy anymore.
Also, if you are talking about someone reputed there will be 100s of searches for his name and you will show your ad to all of those aspirants who may click on your ad and exhaust your budget before the owner can see your ad.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hey Matt,

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, per se - but it's certainly been done before in one form or another. But I think you could take another approach, by using your own name instead.

All of the search volume concerns etc...that Eric pointed out would still apply but if a potential employer were to be searching your name, specifically, you could take that opportunity to have an eye catching ad show up, potentially, and further pitch yourself. There are no guarantees that your ad will always show up, however.

If you were to take this approach, I would go above and beyond a typical resume. If they're already doing a check on you, they likely have your resume. You'd need to get really creative for this to work.

A landing page with a custom video (like Eric mentioned) for the specific company and additional information that is not found on a resume is where I would focus.

It's a nice idea to stand out from your competition but it's really tricky as you don't have 100% control over your ads and there is no guarantee that anyone will actually run searches for your name.

I'd love to hear more if you do decide to proceed.

Good luck in the job hunt!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’