Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords strategy for high CPC.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to run a paid search campaign for a client on a small budget. I just wondered if anyone had some good strategies for keeping CPC. down? (when the competition and cost seems high for an industry. 

Thanks for for your help. 

David

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee2 (Google Employee)
October 2016

Re: AdWords strategy for high CPC.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I have two basic rules I follow:

#1 - Remember that you only get one chance to make a good first impression. Don't activate your campaign until it's as good as you can make it, for a first effort. The first few hours/days that a new account campaign is active is when the system sets your baseline performance metrics. The better your campaign performs 'out of the gate', the lower your costs will be.

#2 - Quality, quality, quality!  While bids do matter, and you do have to be somewhat competitive, ads and landing pages that score well can save you a ton on click costs. 

Start with the website. Make sure you have good landing pages for each product/service, landing pages that fit well with the keywords and ads for each Ad Group. Your inquiry/call/submission forms should be short and easy for the visitor to understand and navigate. They should also be on every page.

Use conversion tracking, whether it's for calls or form submissions or both. (You can't improve what you don't track.)

Don't forget negative keywords. Monitor your search queries and make certain that you're not spending money on unwanted clicks. Test performance for phrase and exact match keywords, don't just dump in all broad match. While everyone is impressed by big impression numbers, what really counts is how many searchers wind up on your website, wanting just the product or service your client offers.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee2 (Google Employee)
October 2016

Re: AdWords strategy for high CPC.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I have two basic rules I follow:

#1 - Remember that you only get one chance to make a good first impression. Don't activate your campaign until it's as good as you can make it, for a first effort. The first few hours/days that a new account campaign is active is when the system sets your baseline performance metrics. The better your campaign performs 'out of the gate', the lower your costs will be.

#2 - Quality, quality, quality!  While bids do matter, and you do have to be somewhat competitive, ads and landing pages that score well can save you a ton on click costs. 

Start with the website. Make sure you have good landing pages for each product/service, landing pages that fit well with the keywords and ads for each Ad Group. Your inquiry/call/submission forms should be short and easy for the visitor to understand and navigate. They should also be on every page.

Use conversion tracking, whether it's for calls or form submissions or both. (You can't improve what you don't track.)

Don't forget negative keywords. Monitor your search queries and make certain that you're not spending money on unwanted clicks. Test performance for phrase and exact match keywords, don't just dump in all broad match. While everyone is impressed by big impression numbers, what really counts is how many searchers wind up on your website, wanting just the product or service your client offers.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi David, 

to lower your cost try bidding for position 2 or 3 rather than 1 as its more expensive. 

regards,

Zaby

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theresa, your advice is really helpful. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Theresa_Zook 's advice is spot on... and I would add that it's OK to pay higher CPC.

Before you all jump on me allow me to explain... 

Most of the verticals where the CPC's are highest have two things in common - firstly, there is more competition. Thus the cpc's get hiked up - especially by the bigger companies who simply throw money at AdWords because they have plenty and their policy seems to be that the more they spend the more they will push out the competition.

This is something you simply have to live with - but by being smart and doing the things Theresa mentioned you can get decent positions by aiming for a much more targeted approach to niches within that market. So, instead of going, for example, for pet insurance - you go for small dog insurance or poodle insurance... if you have an ad that targets poodle owners and a landing page that targets them as well then you are likely to get a better QS for those specific keywords and thus beat the big boys by finding the chinks in their own size fits all approach.

Secondly, and this is perhaps harder to accept, the clicks are more expensive because the rewards are greater. This is why the financial services, insurance, legal, real estate, etc. pay more for their clicks than someone selling buttons.

If you sell million dollar properties you can expect to pay a lot for your clicks....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @stickleback

Would you generally recommend a display campaign or search campaign? If the objective is for app downloads, but low CPC. in a competitive market.

The target audience is tradesmen like plumbers and electricians 

thanks for your help