AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords how to stop campaign, was a work in progress, didn't mean to activate already.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a student at a University, Our Sr. Class is working on a project, we are on a team trying to start an AdWords campaign for a real client (first time working with Google AdWords). We are NOT ready for our client to be charged.

This morning I went in to delete some phrases and saw the client is already being charged per day.  I have paused, and changed to $0.00 per day.

How can I get back to the beginning and delete some AdWords and keep client from being charged until the project is complete?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: AdWords how to stop campaign, was a work in progress, didn't mean to activate already.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
AdWords accounts are like living things - nothing is ever truly deleted - even when "removed" - so going back to the beginning is like telling a 5 yr old to go back to being 3 - won't happen (like pretty much everything else you tell a 5 yr old!)

The simplest answer is to pause all your campaigns. you can still work on them - write ads, adjust bids, get all the config just the way you want it - and then take the campaigns live.

Unfortunately, if you had the campaigns live and Google served them and this generated some cost - that's going to have to be paid for.

Students or not - ready or not - if you run the ads you have to pay for them - now there's a valuable lesson for you right there!

Hope it wasn't too much ;-)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: AdWords how to stop campaign, was a work in progress, didn't mean to activate already.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
AdWords accounts are like living things - nothing is ever truly deleted - even when "removed" - so going back to the beginning is like telling a 5 yr old to go back to being 3 - won't happen (like pretty much everything else you tell a 5 yr old!)

The simplest answer is to pause all your campaigns. you can still work on them - write ads, adjust bids, get all the config just the way you want it - and then take the campaigns live.

Unfortunately, if you had the campaigns live and Google served them and this generated some cost - that's going to have to be paid for.

Students or not - ready or not - if you run the ads you have to pay for them - now there's a valuable lesson for you right there!

Hope it wasn't too much ;-)