AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords & AdWords Express Compete Against Each Other?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

If you have the same keywords running in AdWords and AdWords Express (same customer ID), do they cause higher click costs? A Google rep is telling me yes.

I know Google says they will "compete".

If you advertise on both AdWords and AdWords Express, ads from both AdWords and AdWords Express will be eligible to appear on Google in the same places, for the same search query, and could compete in the same ad auction. Only one ad from either your AdWords or AdWords Express account can appear for a search query, which means your ads could compete against each other
https://support.google.com/adwords/express/answer/1689628?hl=en

I also know that the same keywords in different parts of the same account have a mini-auction to see which keyword wins, but that doesn't affect click costs.

So does Google consider the AdWords and AdWords Express accounts (same customer ID) as the same account, or competing accounts?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rob,

From my understanding and training, yes they would/do compete, however they are treated slightly differently from two AdWords businesses in the auction. I would describe it as a hybrid product.... where they are viewed more as a campaign ( 50%) and a separate account (50%) versus two complete strangers in the auction. 

I know of larger retailers that run both AdWords and AdWords Express at the same time. Although all that do so (that I know of) have a large budget, too.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Though the same ID (for billing and redeeming only one promo code- once one is open) they compete. Google  encourages the client to have only one promoted account based on the company needs, Preferably, for SMB, to start "small" with AWE and migrate / switch to AW once the business grows.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks guys,

I guess the ultimate proof would be to run ads for different sites, same keywords, and see if both ads show at the same time. Not that I care that much to find out, this is the first time this question has come up for me.

Something I do see regularly is that clients switch from Express to the full AdWords, but accidentally leave the Express ads running. There's lots of potential there for double-serving.