AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords account limits - need help

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My company main account has reached the "5 million ad group targeting items per account (such as keywords, placements, audience lists, and product targets)" limit.

We would prefer to keep all our campaigns and ad groups together, so we've started to delete old keywords. Right now in our account, after all this deleting, it says that we have 4.436.687 keywords. There's no way that the rest of "targeting items" might amount to around 600.000 as far as we can tell. But whenever we upload anything -even small Ad Groups, it doesn't work and it gives us that says we're above the 5 million...

... has this happened to anyone? Any ideas about how we could fix this, or is there any workaround?

We've also asked AdWords Support about this, asking if it's possible to have a higher limit... no answer yet.

Thanks in advance,

Diego.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiegoValladolid
September 2015

Re: AdWords account limits - need help

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Perhaps it's time to phone Google and get them to do something manually? With 5m keywords, you're a very big player.

And remind them that they're losing money by their intransigence. It's not as if it's someone like me with an ad spend of $300/month!

Even so, optimizing that lot will make for serious dividends, even if you can't upload anything new. Worth thinking about until your Google technician gets out his digital equivalent of a spanner.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Diego,

To be honest here for me, reaching 5 million ad group targeting items per account is huge and a bit scary as well Smiley Happy

Reason being the more the targeting items increases, the more complex your account will become and of course it will be more difficult to handle and optimize the account effectively.

As per the current account limit, you are right about 5 million ad group targeting items per account as per the help center notes. (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396?hl=en)

I don't know if its possible for you to cut down these parameters and try to emphasize on the quality of the keywords, ad copies you are delivering; rather than going for the quantity.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Indeed, Pankaj! Smiley Happy

But the thing is that even if we cut down the number of words, once we've reach the limit we can't upload anything new... We can't go back to a smaller account by deleting keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Diego, this is slightly off topic, but with an account that size, you'll be able to find individual keywords that are driving anywhere between 30% and 75% of the traffic in that ad group or campaign. Surely this is a case where you should be looking to optimizing for your better performing keywords? I would guess that you could dump half of your keywords and see a 0.1% drop in traffic - and see the remaining keywords performing better as well.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you targeting different countries from the same AdWords account ? You could use at least 2 accounts to target different countries.

If you do not mind sharing this info : how did you reach the 5 milion threshold, what targeting elements were counted the most, product targets ,keywords, Ads, negative keywords ? I suppose it couldn't have been managed placements . What is the main cause of this large number ?

Have you tried some keyword less features like Dynamic Search Ads ? In my country because we lack the PLA feature , big e-commerce stores rely a lot on DSA.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks everyone for your input! We did a huuuge upload of Exact Match Keywords for every brand we had in our catalog, hence the big scary number. The idea always back to see what sticks and delete later. Gemma L, you're absolutely right, but the problem is not that we don't want to optimize, is that we can't, or rather that even if we optimize and delete 75% of our words AdWords is still not letting us upload anything new!

This has been confirmed by an AdWords support person; no matter how much we delete, the account is "flagged", so to speak, and the only way is for them to raise us the limit... That's what they told us anyway.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian, thanks for your help. The limit was reach by keywords, mostly. Will look into DSAs, thanks for your suggestion!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiegoValladolid
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Perhaps it's time to phone Google and get them to do something manually? With 5m keywords, you're a very big player.

And remind them that they're losing money by their intransigence. It's not as if it's someone like me with an ad spend of $300/month!

Even so, optimizing that lot will make for serious dividends, even if you can't upload anything new. Worth thinking about until your Google technician gets out his digital equivalent of a spanner.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Will do Gemma, thanks a lot for your help. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I am with @pankaj1782 on this;

I don't believe that this "infinite" number of adgroups and keywords could be managed effectively, and I am quite certain that it's a time to overhaul the keywords and adgroups.

@ Adrian; Targeting different countries do not allow separate accounts of the same business. Only rare circumstances will allow that (SBUs registered in another country. etc...) If you are one business entity, targeting  different locations - set different campaigns on the same account.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’