AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Time Management - 100 campaigns - vs 100 Ad groups

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to open a light discussion about the differences in time management for the following situation :

1) 100 campaigns , each with an ad group

2) 100 ad groups in 1 campaign

A) What would be the most time consuming tasks that would motivate you to choose structure 2 over structure 1, even if structure 1 offers budget and targeting management ? The Ad groups contain identical entities, keywords, ads, bids, sitelinks, etc

For example :   task1 ................  takes ..... times more in case 1 than in case 2.

This could help new advertisers understand why is it better to decide a structure over the other, now that in the Enhanced Campaigns, many settings can also be done at Ad Group level, just like they used to be done only at Campaign level.

B) Could the conclusion be that the only waste is having 200 elements (situation 1) instead of 101 (situation2) to download in the AdWords editor ?

C) Can structure 1 help  setting up a PLA campaign ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Time Management - 100 campaigns - vs 100 Ad groups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
My immediate thoughts for choose a structure would be budget and future expansion. If I wanted to keep a tight leash on how much each section did, I would break it out into campaigns. Same if I knew that in the future I would want to do similar themes and keep them all in the same ad group.

I guess either way, 100 ad groups in a single campaign would be a lot. Same with setting up 100 campaigns right out of the gates. Is there an option 3 where we start on a few campaigns and expand out?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No there isn't option 3 , the exageration serves the purpose of identifing time consuming tasks that exist in situation 1 and do not exist in situation 2. If such a task exists and it takes 15 minutes per month , by multiplying it 100 times it starts consuming precious hours per month and it becomes a problem.

So what are the time consuming tasks which differentiate these 2 setups enough to justify choosing a structure over the other ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That's too bad. I was hoping for an option 3 Smiley Sad

I'm probably not thinking through everything, but if it was set out exactly as outlined above, the only real things that would matter would be budget changes. Everything else would just be the same because the Campaign and Ad Group views (because there is only 1 ad group in each campaign) would show the same info.

I don't know about PLAs though. I haven't dealt too much with them.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

All right so 1 vote for : there is no difference.

The idea to discuss this at a theoretical level came to me when in a discussion I advised to create 2 Campaigns , 1 for mobile and one for desktops, and another much more experienced person advised to create 2 Ad Groups in the same campaign, because presumably my setup creates time consuming problems at a larger scale.

This situation of splitting mobile and desktop exists in all accounts so it is important to know why a setup is better than another.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, interesting question, I hope I can do it justice.

From a setup time point of view the answer is simple.  If you want to get the best out of an AdWords Account you should create a structure that best suits the needs of the Account.  If the best structure takes longer than another option then that's just how it is, there's no sense in cutting corners when initial setup is something you only have to do once.

On a more "theoretical" level, I'd personally always plump for having multiple Campaigns.  It's hard to imagine a business where 100 Ad Groups would be appropriate within a single budget and schedule.  Even when you have a group of similar products that might make sense under a single Campaign in terms of structure it's still likely that in the long run you'll find variations in how these products perform and will want to have greater control over the spend.  For some Accounts, to get the best Quality Score, you may even have to use just a single Keyword per Ad Group so you could be looking at a Campaign per product - I have some Accounts set up this way.

In terms of time and the Editor even my largest Account (several thousand Ad Groups, 80,000+ Keywords) downloads in less than a minute over what is far from rapid broadband in my area so I think you'd have to get to a very large Account indeed - probably to the point where using the API would be more sensible - before download time becomes an issue.

PLA Campaigns are interesting because I think a lot of advertisers tend to set them up as one Campaign, one Ad Group and walk away.  Although the options for controlling PLAs are somewhat limited within AdWords it is possible to segment them by product category, etc. so really PLAs should be treated just as you would a "normal" setup with multiple Groups, Keywords, etc. (and of course PLAs can have negative Keywords, if not positives).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

All right, so one more vote for : 100 campaigns instead of 100 ad groups , if all other elements are the same ?

This is my only requirement, what structure is more time consuming as a setup and why .

To make this question more simple : If you had 50 ad groups into 10 Campaigns for desktops and tomorrow your client decides to implement a mobile version of the site and you have to also target mobiles : would you

a) create 50 more ad groups in the same 10 campaigns or

b) would you separate mobiles into their own campaigns doubling the campaign count as well as the ad group count , just because it does not affect your time management at all ? 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian B wrote:

All right so 1 vote for : there is no difference.

The idea to discuss this at a theoretical level came to me when in a discussion I advised to create 2 Campaigns , 1 for mobile and one for desktops, and another much more experienced person advised to create 2 Ad Groups in the same campaign, because presumably my setup creates time consuming problems at a larger scale.

This situation of splitting mobile and desktop exists in all accounts so it is important to know why a setup is better than another.

Which discussion are you referring to here? 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You know it  Smiley Happy ( I do not want to link it) although I would love to know your experience about why choosing more ad groups is less time consuming than having more campaigns , if you want to share it. Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey Adrian,

Ultimately, you're really misinterpreting and using creative license with my posts. I never once suggested duplicating or adding in ad groups at all. Go back and read it.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Call-Button-Prewiev/m-p/230227#M24778

In reference to call extensions "how would you set already existing text ads. for PCs, Tablets and Phones?"

The OP here asked about setting up different call extensions (in a round about manner) for mobile vs desktop/tablet. I think we can agree on that.

You suggested separate campaigns...this will work.  I thought it was a bit much considering the options available.

My perspective is that separate campaigns are not needed for that particular situation and question. Simply adding in multiple call extensions, at whatever level of the account makes sense, is the quick and easy way to accomplish that particular task. That was the goal (I think) of Google adding in the options to set ads, extensions etc...as mobile preferred - flexibility.

The rest of this discussion here is a completely different topic that I should not be linked to, but I stand by the fact that I make my decisions often based on goals first and foremost but I always keep efficiency in mind.  

Sometimes account structure is based on budgets, locations, brands, products, reporting needs, website structure and even device targeting but there needs to be a real need and a concrete case for whatever method I happen to choose.  

To clarify further, the reality is that having one campaign requires X time in regular management tasks. If you duplicate that campaign, for any reason, you now have to spend 2X time in management tasks...right? For every action taken in one campaign, you'll probably review if not take the same action in the second campaign. I certainly can see (and have executed) many reasons for varying account structures but I would not duplicate a campaign just to set up call extensions for mobile vs desktop.

Keep in mind, there are often many ways to get to point x in AdWords - we don't have to agree on that but when you create these secondary discussions, it's pretty clear, to me at least, that this is an attempt to validate your own perspective or to try an disprove someone else.  Please make sure you fully understand what you're referring to before you begin with these. I'm more than willing to share perspectives with you on any topic, I just don't want words put in my mouth (so to speak).  It's not very hard to track down threads when you reference them (with links or without) so you might as well put my name in here with a link to the thread as there is very little difference between doing that and this thread, you're calling me out. For something I never even suggested.  I don't edit my posts either...what I post is what I post.  

That said, it wasn't too long ago where you were quite concerned with others and how they were referencing and treating you here.  Please make sure to extend the same courtesy to everyone else that you'd like to have for yourself. 

Smiley Happy

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’