4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Targeting: Receiving Clicks from outside target region

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Are you receiving clicks from outside your target region?

In this post, I’m outlining some points that can help you identify the reasons why you may be receiving clicks from outside your target region and how you can avoid these clicks!

1. Check your ‘advanced location options’:

AdWords sets a default advanced targeting setting for 'People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location' which includes clicks from outside the physical targeting.

We have developed this system for your benefit so you reach as many people as possible who are looking for your goods or services (even though they may not be physically located in that area).

If you do not want to receive clicks from outside your target area, you need to change the advanced location settings to "People in my targeted location." Your ad can then only appear for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location.

You can edit it under "Campaign > Settings > Locations and Languages >  Location options (advanced) > Target > Edit" and select ‘People in my targeted location’

Important: In case you have a standard campaign, you won’t see any advanced options including ‘advanced location settings’. Hence, you would need to first change the campaign type to ‘All features’ and you can then edit the ‘advanced location options as mentioned above.

Learn more about advanced targeting settings options here.

2. IP Address Does Not Match User's Location

Google identifies a user's Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is assigned by a user's Internet Service Provider (ISP), to help determine the user's location. Then, we'll show ads targeted to that user's location.

Sometimes, however, the user's IP address is mapped outside his or her actual location. For example, if you have a campaign that targets REGION #1, a user could be located in REGION #2 while his/her IP address is housed on a server located in REGION #1. Therefore, your ads would appear to that user, even though the user is physically located outside of your targeted region.

If a significant amount of traffic to your ad is coming from outside your targeted region, you might want to include the name of your region or city in your ad text to avoid unnecessary clicks.

3. Ad showing on location-specific searches:

Your ad might appear to a customer with an IP address outside of your targeted area if the customer's search specifies that area. For example, if you're advertising an Italian restaurant and targeting New York, your ad could appear to a customer located in Florida who searches for "New York pizza."

However, if you find that your clicks aren't producing the results you expected, you can try using the advanced location targeting options to serve your ads to customers likely to be physically located in your target area.

Important note:

Note that if you only target customers physically located in your target area, any location terms in your keywords must also be within the targeted area. If the terms fall outside your targeted area, your ad won't show on that keyword. For example, if you're targeting customers located in New York, but a customer searches for "Chicago pizza" or "Naples pizza," your ad won't appear for these keywords.

4. Ad Showing on Country-Specific Domain

If you opt for country/territory level location targeting, your ad may show to customers with IP addresses outside of your targeted country if they search on the country-specific Google domain that corresponds with your targeting selection. For example, if your campaign targets France, a customer with a Spanish IP address may see your ad if he searches on Google.fr, which is Google's France-specific domain.

However, if you don't want your ad showing on a country-specific domain to customers outside of your targeted country, you have two options:

1. Target by physical location as explained in the first point in this post.

2. Regional or custom targeting: Change your campaign's location targeting from the country/territory option to the regional or customized option.

Returning to our previous example, rather than targeting your campaign to the country of France, you can target all the regions in France. You'd be able to reach the same audience, but your ad wouldn't show on Google.fr to customers with IP addresses outside of your selected regions in France.

5. Exclude areas:

Finally, If you're concerned about receiving clicks outside of your desired region, you may want to exclude certain areas from seeing your ad. Learn how to exclude certain areas in your targeted locations.

Remember, there's no need to exclude areas that you haven't already targeted -- we won't show your ads in places unless you explicitly target them.

The exception is if you target an area by locations that people searched for or viewed pages about, and exclude other areas by your customers' physical location. This gets a little more complicated -- check out the article on advanced location options (as mentioned in the beginning of this article) for more information.

To learn more about targeting your ads, read this Help center article.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Targeting: Receiving Clicks from outside target region

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Shilpi is ready to answer any of your questions about AdWords targeting, so please ask on this thread!

Zee
G+

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks Shilpi,

I am running the campaigns on GDN with Text  ads and getting more than 50% conversion Out of targeted area. In Advance Setting I have selected first options. Can i use second Option to refine the traffic.I am also using Target CPA bid, so does it impact the performance of my campaigns if i choose the second Option in Advance Location Setting.

Thanks,

Rakesh

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Rakesh,

Yes you should set the second option under advanced location settings that is, "people in my targeted location".

However, if you are happy with the conversions that you are getting, then you may want to keep the current settings.  Target CPA bid will not be impacted even if you change the settings.

The only thing is that your traffic may reduce as people from outside your targeted region won't be able to see your ads. 

Hope this helps!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Thanks ShilpiSmiley Happy

I have changed the campaigns in my all campaigns, because are such that we need to create the campaigns with City/State targeting.

But i need one query:-

I have some DCO(Display Campaigns Optimizer) campaigns, so if i changed the advance location setting, does it will impact the DCO performance.

Waiting Your Reply

Thanks
Rakesh

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Rakesh,

Changing your advanced locations would mean a reduction in your traffic. So in that sense there could be a minor change in the performance of your DCO. But if you are specifically concerned about your campaign, you may write to us through the contact us form on the helpcenter so that we can take a look into your account and give you specific information.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great info. Thanks for posting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shilpi, great content the one you posted here. I have one question though:

As you clearly explained, a user in Spain using google.fr will see ads targeting France. Basically, the country domain overrides his IP.
You also said that you can exclude this thing but setting Advanced Location Options on "People in my Targeted Location".
Can please confirm me that, by selecting this setting, users in Spain using google.fr won't see any ad targeting France?

Thank you again!
Eddie

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

+Shilpi
I have a question regarding excluded areas.
The case is this:
Targeted area: Sweden (in, searching for, or viewing pages about)
Excluded area: Germany (and most importantly I have choosen "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location"
Location of user: Sweden
Domain used: google.de
Keyword: +travel +china
Search query: travel china germany

I have run this in the diagnostics tool, and I guessed that it would show NO, not showing ad for this user, because I´ve told the system not to show ads to users interested in or searching for Germany.
Does this mean that the include option (in Sweden) overrides the exclude option (interested in Germany) in this case?