4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Negative Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

if i have a campaign running for widgets and in a search someone searches widgets 3000cc. 3000cc has nothing to do with my product. in fact, i don't even know what that is. So i want to make sure anytime someone enters 3000cc for search, none of my ads show. I know that i do this at the campaign level but what match type should i use for 3000cc, broad, phrase or exact?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Negative Match Types

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Phrase match would be best. Using broad match would work as well, however I am always wary of using broad match for negative keywords as it block's more than just the intended word/phrase (and it's difficult to figure out what all it blocks!)

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Neha Gupta ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for mention @MosheTLV!

If 3000cc is not at all related to your product as you mentioned in your query, I would add following negative keyword:

3000cc - broad match

"3000 cc" - phrase match 

and if 3000 and cc both are not part of your product, you can also add

3000cc broad match

3000 broad match

cc broad match

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any doubts.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’