4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Negative Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have AdWords ads running for drug rehabs. A big challenge is adding negative keywords to prevent the ad from showing when people search for things like (most commonly) "physical rehab" or variations. We have extensive negative keywords. I have a negative in there for "leukemia" as negative phrase match -- which based on my reading, means 'ad will not show if query contains this exact keyword even with other terms before and after it.' Somebody recently searched for "leukemia treatment center" -- and my ad showed and got clicked. Am I misunderstanding negative phrase match or is AdWords letting things through it shouldn't be? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
June 2016

Re: AdWords Negative Match Types

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

Are there any other choices? It may not be your understanding nor Google. I only ask as I've never run into a case where a negative keyword, implemented properly, was ignored. Are there misspellings in your search term report on the word leukemia by chance? Negatives are exact in a sense, they do not reach into variants etc...you have to include all iterations that you want to exclude in your negatives list.

Any chance you added the negative and you're looking at a report from prior to adding the negative keyword?

I would definitely confirm that the negative kw in this case is indeed applied to ad group that holds this keyword that triggered the impression. The negative doesn't have to be ad the ad group level but it must be at some level connected to that ad group - it could be in the ad group, campaign or a shared negatives list applied to the campaign.

Also, I would also definitely add in some common misspellings as negatives too.

Not sure how much this helps or not. No, you're not misunderstanding how negatives work, my hunch is there is something, maybe not so obvious occurring within the account or in the reports. If you can share some screenshots or more information, we may be able to help get this sorted out.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
It should have worked that way...did they misspell one of the words in their search query? Why not just add Leukemia as a broad match negative?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Is it possible the searcher mispelled "leukemia?" Have you used the preview testing tool on that phrase to see what the results were?
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

Are there any other choices? It may not be your understanding nor Google. I only ask as I've never run into a case where a negative keyword, implemented properly, was ignored. Are there misspellings in your search term report on the word leukemia by chance? Negatives are exact in a sense, they do not reach into variants etc...you have to include all iterations that you want to exclude in your negatives list.

Any chance you added the negative and you're looking at a report from prior to adding the negative keyword?

I would definitely confirm that the negative kw in this case is indeed applied to ad group that holds this keyword that triggered the impression. The negative doesn't have to be ad the ad group level but it must be at some level connected to that ad group - it could be in the ad group, campaign or a shared negatives list applied to the campaign.

Also, I would also definitely add in some common misspellings as negatives too.

Not sure how much this helps or not. No, you're not misunderstanding how negatives work, my hunch is there is something, maybe not so obvious occurring within the account or in the reports. If you can share some screenshots or more information, we may be able to help get this sorted out.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying -- would there be advantages to having it as a negative broad match as opposed to a negative phrase match? The way I read it, for this case, it would be six of one and half-dozen of the other.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
With the case of single term negative KW, there is no difference that I'm aware of. It's when multiple terms are used that there can be differences. The suggestion is how I would approach it as well - "I never want to show up for anything related to leukemia, so I add that term in the appropriate place as a broad, just out of habit mostly.

-Tommy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply -- actually there was a misspelling of "leukemia" which explains that instance. However, the ad was also triggered for a search of "cancer treatment center" -- no misspellings -- even though I have "cancer" as a negative phrase, and I'm positive the "cancer" negative has been in there for a long time. So I am still flummoxed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply -- I always appreciate the input I get from other in here! Good to be able to run my "understanding" by others to reality check myself!

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Is there any chance that your date range was set to before the time when you added the negative KW?

Have you tried a shared negative KW list at the campaign(s) level? If you have negatives like this at the adgroup level, a query may have triggered an ad to show for the "wrong" adgroup, where the negative wasn't added.
Tom