AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Keyword Tool Traffic Estimate Not Accurate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am wondering how accurate you consider the average monthly traffic estimates in the keyword tool to be? Particularly, I am curious as to why I get significantly lower estimates for keyword volume reported on the internet. 

I will give one example from a comparison with googlefeud.

According to googlefeud, here are some monthly searches:

how to raise chickens 10k

how to raise crickets 9k

how to raise your blood pressure 1k

When I do the searches in the keyword tool:

how to raise chickens 5,400

how to raise crickets 880

how to raise your blood pressure 1,600 

I understand these are averages and it depends what months you use for comparison, as well as other settings in your account, but want to see if there is a better and more accurate way to get traffic estimates. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Stefan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Keyword Tool Traffic Estimate Not Accurate?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for posting! You're right that the traffic estimates vary widely based on the information you give the Keyword Planner. For example, your language, location, and device settings have a large impact on the numbers you'll see.

The other setting to pay attention to is whether you select "Get search volume for a list of keywords," which shows historical data, or "Get traffic forecasts for a list of keywords," which shows click and cost forecasts.

You can read more in-depth about the Keyword Planner here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en&vid=1-635797717305144241-3645851084

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie,

Thanks for the response. From your experience what is the most accurate way/source for traffic estimates? Would you say 3-rd party tools such as spyfu might be more accurate? I am only interested in traffic volume, as i've found the forecasts to be even less accurate.

Any guesses where googlefeud.com is getting their estimates from? The official statement is "Google AdWords API." Any insights into that option?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Stefan,

I cannot recommend any third-party tools, as I don't know how they pull information. The Keyword Planner has always worked for me in terms of estimates, but it's definitely important to make sure you set up the settings as closely as possible to how you have them set in the campaign to get the most accurate read.

Hope this helps!

Cassie