4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor sucks so bad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google AdWords Editor gives he a headache every day. It will crash for no reason and won't download all of my campaigns for me. Every new release of AdWords makes me feel like the new version will be more reliable and useful but nothing is ever different. I just wish it would work a full day without crashing. With all the money Google makes of their ads, you'd think they could offer a decent program to manage it.

Now when I have been opening AdWords Editor, it will just show a blank box and the second I click on it, it says Not Responding then crashes. I have tried installing a new version multiple times but that hasn't done anything to help. I really don't know what else to do.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Editor sucks so bad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Could it be your machine? I work on the editor all day and rarely come across problems.

Ryan.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi EKIM1406, I have to say that I think Ryan's suggestion is a valid one.  If the Editor behaved in this way with many users we'd be plagued with messages about it here on the support board but we really aren't.  Yes, the Editor's had it's quirks but it does sound to me like your problems could be outside of the software itself.

What sort of machine are you running it on?  How old, how much memory, etc.?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use a Dell (Optiplex 990) at work that is less than a year old. It has 358 GB free memory.

I'm sure it's not the computer that is the issue since it was purchased when I started at this job. The issues I have with AdWords Editor involve the downloading of account changes. For most of my accounts/campaigns it works fine, but there are 2 that never download; they just crash the Editor. I've tried over and over and over again but it will still not work. One of the accounts I have never been able to download since I got here (luckily I dont have to use it much). The other account, I used to be able to download the changes with no problems at all. But within the last 3-4 months, it crashes my Editor every time as well. For awhile I could just download each campaign individually, but now that crashes AdWords as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled AdWords Editor 4 times now to no avail.

I just want it to not crash. Smiley Sad

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Have you contacted AdWords for technical support?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issues downloading statistics. It used to work if I downloaded the whole account, but I couldn't download specific campaigns it went ''not responding'' immediately.

Lately, even when I use ''download whole account'' it doesn't work.

It is a great tool, but only when it works and the thing is we absolutely need this to work to be efficient. Managing a campaign in the Adwords interface is much more trouble but most of the time, I don't have a choice.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
As google get larger they probably hire the most useless designers, the new version is even worse! 11.0 is terrible, cant upload ads with tracking urls - this Bing ads editor is 100x better

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not a fan of the new editor either.

What happened to the KeyWord Grouping tool?  The old Editor had a tool that could suggest keyword groups so I could create more meaningful ads and thus improve my quality score.  That little helper is no longer available.

I also dislike needing to change tabs if I wish to bulk edit ads by making changes to both the display url and the final urls.  The now obsolete destination url is still on the tab with the headline, description lines and display url, but the final url and final mobile url requires a tab change before they can be altered.  That's not an upgrade.