AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor Connection Issue

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an employee who uses the adwords editor to manage our organization's adwords account.  She is unable to get adwords to connect to our accounts.

We're getting an error message when attempting to run the program:

adwords error.png

This is odd because we don't run an HTTP proxy at our location.

A google rep suggested we make sure the following can be reached via 443:

www.google.com/ (for authentication)
adwords.google.com
tpc.googlesyndication.com (images for image ads, location extensions and so on)

We typically don't block anything outgoing in our firewall, and haven't made any major changes to our firewall in the past few weeks, when this issue began.

When checking the log, the following is listed:

INFO] 2014-10-13 15:10:04 (TId:9156): About to connect() to www.google.com port 443 (#0)
Trying 64.233.185.103... Connected to www.google.com (64.233.185.103) port 443 (#0)
successfully set certificate verify locations:
CAfile: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Google\Google AdWords Editor\cacerts.pem
CApath: none
SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to www.google.com:443
Expire cleared
Closing connection #0

WARN] 2014-10-13 15:10:04 (TId:9156): Transfer failed. libcurl error: SSL connect error.

So it looks like it can connect to the server on 443, but the handshake process is failing at some point.  We've upgraded to the latest version, 10.6.  Also, I've tried placing the most up-to-date version of libcurl.dll (7.38 instead of 7.19) in the adwords editor directory.  Nothing seems to work.

Any Ideas?  Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan B
September 2015

Re: AdWords Editor Connection Issue

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Well, like I said, I'm not a networking expert. You might probably want to contact one at this point. It's particularly strange that Editor is affected while browsers are not. I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid.

There's one thing, but it's a long shot and is unlikely to help. You said in your original message that you've upgraded libcurl to the latest version - but that's not who's actually responsible for establishing SSL connections: OpenSSL is. It's the two DLLs, named libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll, located in the same directory where you found libcurl.dll.

We ship OpenSSL version 1.0.1.5 (also known as 1.0.1e). The latest is 1.0.1.10 aka 1.0.1j; you could get it here: https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html . As I said, I strongly doubt upgrading is going to help: 1.0.1e is reasonably recent, and also if there were some systematic problem with it, we'd have heard about it by now.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

@AdWordsEng-Igor could you please advise Jonathan?

Thank you,
Mini

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Is this still happening? Is it reliably reproducible? Can this user navigate successfully to https://www.google.com in a browser on her machine? Is this the only machine affected, or other machines on the same network, too?

I don't see anything wrong from the logs you provided: 64.233.185.103 is a valid IP address for www.google.com, this IP address serves a valid SSL certificate, I was able to connect and send requests to it just fine. I haven't seen anything like this before, and we haven't received any other similar reports (which suggests it's probably something with your network setup, but I must admit I'm not sure where to start looking).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, we tested a browser connection to https://www.google.com successfully when we were evaluating the issue. The other 2 sites worked as well, except for tpc.googlesyndication.com, which returned a 404 error. That is understandable, since we weren't specifying an image URL.

We do have 2 ISPs, and to preclude the possibility of a connection starting on one IP then "flapping" to another I've configured the firewall to only send her out one ISP. This has fixed some SSL connection issues in the past, but this seems different. It looks as though it can't connect at all, rather than connecting then disconnecting at a random interval later.

I was informed that this individual can use the adwords editor at home, and the issue seems to only be present at the workplace. I am unsure if other individuals use this program as well, so I'll look into that.

I'm receptive to the idea it's an issue with our network's configuration. I'm just looking for avenues to pursue. I'll try a few of the suggestions you made and get back to you. Thanks so much!

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Is the browser configured to use a proxy, by any chance? Editor currently isn't (this is clear from the logs). If the browser is in fact going through the proxy, then configure Editor to use the same proxy, under Tools > Settings > HTTP proxy.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Igor,

Thanks again for all your help so far.  As a test, I've installed it on my workstation and immediately received the same "checking" error regarding updates.  This is the view when I then try to log in. 

ssl error.png

I went ahead and checked my proxy settings in IE, Chrome and Firefox.  IE and Chrome seem to share the same internet settings dialog, and both were set to not use a proxy.  Firefox was set to use the system settings (and I presume they are the same as IE and Chrome) but I changed it to explicitly not use a proxy.  Then I verified adwords editor isn't using a proxy via Tools>Settings dialog.  This made no difference, however, and I received the same SSL error when attempting to log in.

I enabled diagnostic logging and restarted adwords editor.  This is the logged information, nearly identical to before.

INFO] 2014-10-29 19:35:26 (TId:15188): About to connect() to www.google.com port 443 (#0)
Trying 74.125.137.147... Connected to www.google.com (74.125.137.147) port 443 (#0)
successfully set certificate verify locations:
CAfile: C:\Users\j.barnes\AppData\Local\Google\Google AdWords Editor\cacerts.pem
CApath: none
SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to www.google.com:443
Expire cleared
Closing connection #0

WARN] 2014-10-29 19:35:26 (TId:15188): Transfer failed. libcurl error: SSL connect error.

Judging by how it works outside our network, but we've got several machines inside that can't access, it's likely a problem with our configuration.  I just need to figure out how to identify the root cause.  Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan B
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Well, like I said, I'm not a networking expert. You might probably want to contact one at this point. It's particularly strange that Editor is affected while browsers are not. I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid.

There's one thing, but it's a long shot and is unlikely to help. You said in your original message that you've upgraded libcurl to the latest version - but that's not who's actually responsible for establishing SSL connections: OpenSSL is. It's the two DLLs, named libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll, located in the same directory where you found libcurl.dll.

We ship OpenSSL version 1.0.1.5 (also known as 1.0.1e). The latest is 1.0.1.10 aka 1.0.1j; you could get it here: https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html . As I said, I strongly doubt upgrading is going to help: 1.0.1e is reasonably recent, and also if there were some systematic problem with it, we'd have heard about it by now.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That seems to provide marked improvement.  (libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll, 1.0.1j)  I do not get the initial error, or the 443 error when attempting to login.

partial success.png

There was an error message halfway through, but at least it's connecting.  I forget the message (and the logs are now too long to find it easily), but I restarted adwords and removed and re-added the account and I haven't seen the message again.

So far this is looking like the fix we needed.  Now that it's tested on my installation, I'll try it on others.  Thanks so much!

*UPDATE* I tried this on a Marketing Dept. computer and it resolved their issues as well.  Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
how can support my gmail to sign up new adword account ppssible?help me in Android mobile?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
wat?