6.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Dilemma

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, today I created a new ad for my client, and ran into something I found rather odd. 

At $10 a day there are no clicks, but just 22 impressions, while at $100 a day, (and this is where I also typed $1000, and $10,000 with no change), it goes to 1+ click, and 31+ impressions. 

Can some explain the difference? Why for $90 extra there's only 9 extra impressions? This makes little sense to us.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Dilemma

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
hi,

my main guess would be that the search volumes are very low?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Info,

Chances are you are citing the figures from a kind of "forecast" that is based on former stats. Such stats may be very vague when the sample is as small as in your case. Also factor in that rounding to integrals can cause some minor surprise too. (clicks)

"Why for $90 extra there's only 9 extra impressions?"

That may happen due to lack of extra interest from users. Capping is reinforced by the fact that figures do not change as you raise the budget from $1k to $10k.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Info P there's a number of possible reasons:

#1 - As others have suggested, it could simply be that your targeting criteria are far too narrow.  A lot of people use Google and the web, but if your combination of Keywords, location targeting, scheduling and so on are too tight, you may have made your audience too small.  You could make the budget $1,000,000 a day, but if the Ads can only show to 3 people, it's still not going to make any difference.

#2 - Your bids could be too low.  Generally speaking you'll get more exposure (impressions) and usually more clicks the higher the position of your Ads.  If your Ads only ever appear on page 4 of the Search results, you're not going to get much traffic.

#3 - It may be people aren't searching using the terms you're using.  I've found it common that companies tend to want to use Keywords that make sense to them, but which their customers would never use.

Of these, I think the first is the most likely.  Can you share some details of your targeting?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for replying everyone.

Jon,

We only used two little cities and their zip codes, so what you're saying about the audience being too small is true. My client however thinks that by increasing the locations it will drain his budget, so I am not sure how to turn that around.

Thank you,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Info P well, if he doesn't want to spend his budget,  he probably shouldn't be advertising.  It sounds like he's trying to achieve a 100% success rate with his Ads, only showing them to people who will definitely buy, but that's never going to happen, not even close, and the smaller your target, the more likely you're going to be to fail (for lots of probability math reasons that are too horrible to go into this late on a Friday afternoon).

The biggest risk with small, very narrowly focused Campaigns is that they may end up being more costly than a larger Campaign with a bigger audience because they often spend smaller amounts over a longer period with little (if any) success whereas larger Campaigns can usually make statistically significant decisions more quickly.  (Again, there's math that can examine this but...).

I'd have a chat with him and try to reach an understanding that advertising is something that involves investment over time, not something that can be switched on one day and magically start producing orders.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon, I agree. I did mention extending the area, and we will discuss this again tomorrow. I may bring your reply with me.

I am having an issue with this campaign above as it is, because it is listed as disapproved, and i am not sure why. I contacted Google about it. It is not specifying what is wrong, so It's hard for me to fix something I don't know is wrong.

Thank you,