AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Ads Redirecting To Old Domain? Please Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys

I have a bit of a strange one here.  I created an adwords account for a client a few months back, all ads were pointing to, lets say for example domain123.com.  Everything was doing ok but now the client has got a new website redesign on a new domain.

I have updated all the ads in the account to reflect this new domain, lets say for example domainxyz.com.  All display URLs and destination URLs are set to the new domain.

However, when looking at an ad through a google search, the ad is updated visually to represent the new domain, however, when you click on it, it sends me to the old domain???

I can confirm that there is currently no redirect or anything in place from the new site to the old as you can access the new site organicly or directly just fine.

Any help is severly appreciated!

Kind regards

Scott

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Ads Redirecting To Old Domain? Please Help

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Scott;

Recheck that, as you said,  that "all display URLs and destination URLs are set to the new domain"

If those are correct, then, it sounds, that this has to do with CNAME records of your domain settings.

It doesn't seem to be an AdWords setting problem.

Check your domain settings, on the domain administrator console.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mosh

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciated.

Unfrtunatly my knowledge on such things is lacking.  Can you explain a bit more on the domain admin console thing and I will investigate further?

Kind regards

Scott

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Scott;

Domain settings console (also known as "domain configuration") allow to set various parameters, required to run your domain services (mail, web-site...) properly on the hosting server.

Those parameters and the management console, slightly different among hosting service providers. (Though, basics are the same.)

I would suggest to contact your domain hosting, and ask for configuration instruction for the new domain.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mosh

Thanks again for the reply.

I have spoken to the designer and he has confirmed that everything looks as it should on the Domains Settings Console.

It must be an issue within adwords, as it is only through the ads where the redirect happens.

Does it take time for the ads to update with a new destination URL?  It has been around 2 days now since I made the change.  Like I say, the display URL is updated on the live ads you see in the SERPS but the destination keeps pointing to the old website.

Any help appreciated once again.

Kind regards

Scott

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Scott;

AdWords URLs are updated and checked immediately upon the change. Had there been a problem with the destination URL - your ad wouldn't have been approved,

• Does that happen with all ads or only with one?
  • Could it be that 301 redirect command is active? - Pls. check on that with web hosting service.

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mosh

Again, thanks for your patience on this.

It affects all ads.  Regarding the 301 you suggest, like I say the redirect only happens when clicking an ad, not when going ot the site directly or via the organic rankings.

Still scratching my head with this one.

Kind regards

Scott

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Scott

Redirect 301 is a command that automatically redirects users to a different domain. "I have the feeling" that, somehow, it is activated when a user gets to your site after clicking on an ad.

Pls check with your webmaster on that.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

This isn't adding up for me. You changed all destination URL's and all display URL's. If you end up at the old domain when clicking on the link, I would think your ad would have been disapproved for inaccurate display URL.

It there, by chance, a script on the page  (or a rewrite rule on the server) that only runs when the traffic comes from AdWords? That could possibly achieve this result. AdBot would not be recognized as AdWords traffic, so it would not be redirected, preventing the inaccurate display URL error.

That's my best guess without more details, like the actual destination and display URL's. Hope this helps.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

the ad is updated visually to represent the new domain, however, when you click on it, it sends me to the old domain

This would strongly indicate it is not within AdWords because it is simply not allowed to have a different visual and destination URL! (therefor it also can't be that all keywords have the old URL assigned to them)

Some  rewrite rule seems the most logical cause to me