AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad versus Keyword: How do I drive certain keywords to certain ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to AdWords so I apologize for sounding dumb here!

I have a campaign group with 10 keywords and 4 ads. How do I know which keywords are causing which ads to pop up? Is it random? I sort of thought this would be a 1:1 or a Many:1 relationship, where 1 is the ad. But it seems to be that its more like Many:Many. 

I know that if I were to want 1:1, or many:1 I could just create different groups. (I might still do that.) But my question is if it's many:many, how are the ads chosen for the given keywords.

Does my question make sense? I just want to make sure that I'm creating the correct ads and landing pages for the keywords that I choose. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Beacon

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad versus Keyword: How do I drive certain keywords to certain ads?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Beacon,

That's a good question. As you note, the only way to control or know with certainty which ad Google will show for a particular keyword (or words) is to use only the ad you want to show in that ad group. It's impossible to know which ads show for which queries, though if you wanted to you could try doing a few searches using the ad diagnosis tool (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/148778?hl=en). But this would get old pretty quick and you still wouldn't know for sure even if you did see a trend.

To my knowledge, Google wants to show the ad most likely to get clicks for that keyword. You as the advertiser can influence how ads show by your choice of ad rotation settings: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en. You can choose to let Google favor the ad that they guess will get more clicks, you can optimize ads for conversions, or you can have ads rotate evenly (for 90 days or indefinitely). I find that even if you request that ads rotate evenly, though, sometimes Google will still favor one ad.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Well...Your question has two parts:

• The first: "which keyword would trigger the ad?". This is a complex calculation.  Since you are new, I  will skip the full explanation, just say in brief:  the keyword with the highest ad-rank  would be matched to the search query, and  would trigger the ad. (Though this rule ad many exceptions)

• As for you the second part of the question: "how I know which keywords are causing which ads to pop up"?  - For that you have the search terms report, which shows which keyword had  matched to a search query and triggered an ad (that was clicked)

Read more:

Understanding the Search terms report

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello MosheTLV,

About

• As for you the second part of the question: "how I know which keywords are causing which ads to pop up"?  - For that you have the search terms report, which shows which keyword had  matched to a search query and triggered an ad (that was clicked)

Using the "search terms report" to help a user find the pairs Ad-Keyword "which keywords are causing which ads"  is a little difficult. The pairs are available only at the dowloaded report level, after adding the segment "Ad", not directly in the interface.

Wouldn't it be easier to indicate the Segment = Keyword from the Ads tab ? Or have i misunderstood the request...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@Adrian;
I am not sure I understood your question.
The quote is taken from the OP's initial question.
If you add a "keyword" field, to search query report, as explained in the link, you could see which KW triggered an ad (which obviously clicked, since the report doesn't list keywords triggered an ad with no clicks.)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes but from the question of Beacon F

"how I know which keywords are causing which ads to pop up"

He wants to know which keywords are triggering which ads, as in a click from keyword1 triggered ad3, which can be found out only by segmenting the Ads by keyword.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I still don't understand : what a do you mean by "segmenting the Ads by keyword." and "downloaded version"? I don't know of other versions of reports...

Please explain in details.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

First method to find out which keywords triggered which Ads  : From the Search terms report : downloading the report after adding the column Keyword and selecting the custom segment "Ad" like in this print-screen :

adding-segment-ad.png

Second method : by navigating in the Ads tab , clicking the Segment button, we can choose the option "Keyword/Placement" to find out which keyword triggered the Ad , as in this print-screen .

The Ad itself received 21 clicks but 11 clicks came from the first keyword and 10 clicks from the second keyword. Also we can see that the third keyword generated impressions but no clicks in combination with this Ad.

So by segmenting we can see "which keywords are causing which ads to pop up"

segmenting-ad-by-keyword.png

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Adrian; 

Correct!
However, the user is new to Adwords, and I want him to  get himself familiar with the search terms report - which is the basic tool for  every advertiser, Other options/ shortcuts - are for advanced users.

PS: We are back to the a subject we have discussed in the past: when replying to users, we also consider what would be the best approach to educate users about Adwords. We want to provide the users with tools,  not just to troubleshoot an issue.  (BTW, this is the reason we link to  the help center - not quoting the help center:  to encourage users to learn to use it, as well as  other  help / support documentation provided by Google.)