AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad status on competitor bid "not showing", but still gets impressions and clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there.

I did a keyword diagnosis and AdWords tells me that the ad is not showing due to "Low bid or quality score".

Yes, it has low quality score, since I'm bidding on a competitor, and yes, the expected CTR is low, hence low ad rank.

But anyway it still has impressions and clicks (CTR = 4.69%). There is not much competition on the competitor keyword, so it would make sense the ad appears.

When I do a search myself, I see the competitor bids on the keyword.

How do I react on this? How to analyse and adjust? Or should I just leave it, and somettimes it randomly show my ad?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin S
April 2017

Ad status on competitor bid "not showing", but still gets impressions and clicks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

"Maybe this is just changing from time to time?"

Yeah, that's it. You hit the nail on the head. Now it's due to current ad rank, but often times the same is happening due to a daily budget insufficient to support the ad 24/7.

Lakatos

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Martin S,

"There is not much competition on the competitor keyword, so it would make sense the ad appears."

Another precondition is a minimal Ad Rank. However, the ad does appear and has a reasonable CTR. If you can keep it going on for a while Google's opinion will change. You have pretty good reasons to hope for that.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for your answer!

I will let it run for a while. I suppose the diagnosis is just wrong in a way then? As I said, it tells me that the ad is in fact not showing, but my numbers tell me otherwise (even though numbers are low).

When I do and Ad Preview, no ads are showing. Maybe this is just changing from time to time? Sometimes it shows my ad, and sometimes it doesn't, telling me "not showing"?

Thanks.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

"Maybe this is just changing from time to time?"

Yeah, that's it. You hit the nail on the head. Now it's due to current ad rank, but often times the same is happening due to a daily budget insufficient to support the ad 24/7.

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Martin S,

Great answer form Lakatos. I just want to add the message you see, "not showing", is for that particular moment in time. That can change if you have bid modifiers according to the time of day, if your competitor has no ads scheduled at that time, and other things that change through the day.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords