Guide Me
star_border

Ad showing for non specified keywords.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I run the following search on google:

baytree for sale edmonton 

one of my ads shows up, despite the fact that 'baytree' is NOT on any keyword list.  Nor is the word 'baytree' anywhere on my website.

How do I fix my campaigns so that my ads are not shown for products I don't carry.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobertCoats (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Ad showing for non specified keywords.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Sherwood,

Based on what you stated. I assume you have a Keyword as a Broad Match that included either the words Tree or Sale or Edmonton ?

Below I talk about Match types, but I assume you are using Broad Match, and in your settings you have chosen under keyword match types ( which is default) Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants

With that setting, Baytree could be considered a Close Variant of "Tree" for example.

Action items:
Change the setting to not include close variants.
Check you Match Types
Build a Negative Keyword List
Use Analytics Matches Search Query Report to see what words triggered your Ad. Add any irrelevant to your Negative Keyword list ( do this daily) - Once a word is in your negative keyword list, your ad will not appear if that word or phrase is typed in as a search query.

About Keyword Match Types:
There are several types of Keyword Matches when you add your keywords into your ad groups that determine what type of search query by a user will trigger your ad to show.

I assume you are using the Default "Broad Match". That means you just added the keyword into the ad group with out any modifiers.

Broad Match - will bring up any terms typed into the query as long as one of the words is your keyword.
This is were the Negative Keyword Lists come in. If you are using the Broad Match you will want an extensive negative keyword list.

The other options for keyword biding is
[Exact Match]
"Phrase Match"
+Broad +Match +Modifiers.

Full help info on Match types = https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Check your match types and use the negative keyword list to define your campaigns.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Additonal information:  The domain is sherwoods-forests.com

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobertCoats (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Sherwood,

Based on what you stated. I assume you have a Keyword as a Broad Match that included either the words Tree or Sale or Edmonton ?

Below I talk about Match types, but I assume you are using Broad Match, and in your settings you have chosen under keyword match types ( which is default) Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants

With that setting, Baytree could be considered a Close Variant of "Tree" for example.

Action items:
Change the setting to not include close variants.
Check you Match Types
Build a Negative Keyword List
Use Analytics Matches Search Query Report to see what words triggered your Ad. Add any irrelevant to your Negative Keyword list ( do this daily) - Once a word is in your negative keyword list, your ad will not appear if that word or phrase is typed in as a search query.

About Keyword Match Types:
There are several types of Keyword Matches when you add your keywords into your ad groups that determine what type of search query by a user will trigger your ad to show.

I assume you are using the Default "Broad Match". That means you just added the keyword into the ad group with out any modifiers.

Broad Match - will bring up any terms typed into the query as long as one of the words is your keyword.
This is were the Negative Keyword Lists come in. If you are using the Broad Match you will want an extensive negative keyword list.

The other options for keyword biding is
[Exact Match]
"Phrase Match"
+Broad +Match +Modifiers.

Full help info on Match types = https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Check your match types and use the negative keyword list to define your campaigns.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Is there a way to see ALL approximate matches for a particular word?

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests -- http://Sherwoods-Forests.com
780-848-2548
50042 Range Rd 31
Warburg, Alberta T0C 2T0

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sherwood,

There is no direct way to see all approximate matches for a particular word. But you can use keyword planner to get close matches or variations but it’s not 100%. You will have to monitor your search term report on daily bases and if you find any irrelevant search terms then immediately put them into your negative keywords list.

Thanks,
Nouman

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

'baytree' is most likely a synonym of one of your keywords. To avoid synonyms matched to a search query use broad match modifier  (BMM) - as suggested

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’