Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad scheduling

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everybody,

A quick question about ad scheduling; while analyzing all my results per day of the week and hour of the day I noticed that my CPA differs a lot between every hour and day of the week. Therefore I wanted to set up an ad schedule where my ads run all the time, but set up a bid adjustment for every hour of the day per day of the week. Since it’s only possible to set up 6 ad schedules per day that was clearly not an option.

As a next step I thought I would define the time frames where my CPA differ the most from my target CPA and set up 6 time frames per day. When I did this I soon came to realize my ads will only run during those time frames.  Meaning I will exclude hours of the day I do want my ads to show, but just at their original bid without bid adjustments.

I’m looking for a solution where I set up a bid adjustments schedule for the hours of the day where my CPA differs too much and on the other timeframes I just want my ads to run regular.

Is this possible with using ad schedules? And if not, I would really appreciate some feedback how to tackle this situation.

Many thanks,
Bram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Re: Ad scheduling

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bram,

Unfortunately this is an unavoidable limitation of the ad schedule. If you choose to use it you will need to break the day down into a maximum of 6 slots and choose a bid option for each of those segments. It is possible to have no adjustment, so that would be the 'just running' case that you speak of.

But as I said earlier, if you 'activate' the ad schedule setting you need to ensure that every hour of the day is accounted for within your time frames or your ad will not show.

I do now have to ask though, is this such a bad thing? Is your campaign really converting profitably at all hours of the day? Is it not worth leaving off a few years perhaps in the early hours of the morning where ROI may not be as high as it could?

Sorry there was no tidy solution.

P.S. You could (And now I am just throwing ideas around here) perhaps set up a script to run every hour and that script checks the time and then adjust your bid according to the time. The problem here is that the script may not always run on the hour and it will take some time to adjust all the bids depending on the size of your campaign. But it may be something to look into as a potential solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bram,

Unfortunately this is an unavoidable limitation of the ad schedule. If you choose to use it you will need to break the day down into a maximum of 6 slots and choose a bid option for each of those segments. It is possible to have no adjustment, so that would be the 'just running' case that you speak of.

But as I said earlier, if you 'activate' the ad schedule setting you need to ensure that every hour of the day is accounted for within your time frames or your ad will not show.

I do now have to ask though, is this such a bad thing? Is your campaign really converting profitably at all hours of the day? Is it not worth leaving off a few years perhaps in the early hours of the morning where ROI may not be as high as it could?

Sorry there was no tidy solution.

P.S. You could (And now I am just throwing ideas around here) perhaps set up a script to run every hour and that script checks the time and then adjust your bid according to the time. The problem here is that the script may not always run on the hour and it will take some time to adjust all the bids depending on the size of your campaign. But it may be something to look into as a potential solution.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Clynton,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately I was already afraid it wasn't possible.

And to answer your question, yes. I was very suprised as well, but I followed the steps by analsying (at least three months of data and 1.000 clicks and 30 conversions per time frame I want to optimize). For example on tuesday at 00:00 and 01:00 I have my lowest CPA of all my campaigns, but on wednesday the same time I have my worst CPA. And even at those hours are converting with an acceptable ROI. It also happens quiet often that with just one hour differences my CPA drops for 3.5 to 2.5 (3.00 is my target CPA).

I like the script option though! Not as simple as I hoped, but I will defintely take a look at it!

Thanks again!!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Happy to help!