5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad scheduling and standard delivery

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I am using ad scheduling so that my ads don't run in the wee hours of the night (my testing has shown that I rarely get conversions then). I am also using standard ad delivery where ads are run evenly over time. Does Google divide up my daily budget over the whole 24 hours of a day or is it re-calculated for the shorter time of day that my ads run?

On a related note, if I change my scheduling, bids or budget mid-day, is everything recalculated for the remainder of the day?

I hope that makes sense.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Ad scheduling and standard delivery

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi frippy,

Google attempts to use your daily budget in whatever period you have your ads running so if your daily budget is £10 a day, it'll spend £10 whether you run 24 hours a day or just 15 (it's one reason why ad scheduling is a good idea).

The second point is slightly more complex.  Google tries hard to be "smart" about the delivery of your ads and the use of the budget so it's not really possible to say that you're 12 hours into the day therefore you've used 50% of your budget.  Also, the interface isn't "live" so there may be clicks unreported at the time of the change.  All I can really say is that Google will try to adjust to your changes, but it may not be precise.  Bear in mind that spend is calculated over a billing period and that daily spend may exceed the set budget by 20% in any given day.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi frippy,

Google attempts to use your daily budget in whatever period you have your ads running so if your daily budget is £10 a day, it'll spend £10 whether you run 24 hours a day or just 15 (it's one reason why ad scheduling is a good idea).

The second point is slightly more complex.  Google tries hard to be "smart" about the delivery of your ads and the use of the budget so it's not really possible to say that you're 12 hours into the day therefore you've used 50% of your budget.  Also, the interface isn't "live" so there may be clicks unreported at the time of the change.  All I can really say is that Google will try to adjust to your changes, but it may not be precise.  Bear in mind that spend is calculated over a billing period and that daily spend may exceed the set budget by 20% in any given day.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Much appreciated!