4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad rotation

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I am trying to evaluate different ad copy on three search-only campaigns. I chose the Ad Rotation setting where the ads would show evenly for 90 days and then be optimized for clicks. Trouble is, Google seems to have decided to start optimizing far sooner than 90 days. These campaigns don't generate a huge amount of traffic in and of themselves (maybe 200-300 impressions a day), so I don't feel as if enough time has passed for me to decide whether to delete any of the ads due to performance.

Is there a way to "reset" the rotation period?

I tried adding a bit of new text copy a couple of weeks ago because I read somewhere that doing that would reset the rotation, but clearly it hasn't.

And while we are on the topic, how many impressions do you think are needed before you can see statistically meaningful differences?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Ad rotation

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ad rotation never has a TRUE 50/50 split test.

Here is a college or mine's methodology and how he got around this with 'Experiments'

Hope this helps you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently having some issues when trying to do an A/B ad test because the impressions weren't rotating as evenly as I wanted. I was running 2 ads and the settings were set to rotate evenly for 90 days then optimize for clicks (i did reset the 90 days by changing it and putting it back again) so it was set up correctly for this test.

My impressions were more like a 70/30 split. The system just wasn't doing what I had planned for it.

This is when I decided to try using AdWords campaign experiments to see if I could make it more accurate.

I started an experiment with a 50/50 split and changed one ad to control and the other to experiment (you can set it to run for about 90 days as well so it's similar to the rotation settings)

In the next few days my stats were looking much more even. The ads were now showing impressions with a 52/48 split.

If you have some time sensitive ad copy testing to do, it could be worth trying out this method as it really did help get more accurate data quicker.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ad rotation never has a TRUE 50/50 split test.

Here is a college or mine's methodology and how he got around this with 'Experiments'

Hope this helps you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently having some issues when trying to do an A/B ad test because the impressions weren't rotating as evenly as I wanted. I was running 2 ads and the settings were set to rotate evenly for 90 days then optimize for clicks (i did reset the 90 days by changing it and putting it back again) so it was set up correctly for this test.

My impressions were more like a 70/30 split. The system just wasn't doing what I had planned for it.

This is when I decided to try using AdWords campaign experiments to see if I could make it more accurate.

I started an experiment with a 50/50 split and changed one ad to control and the other to experiment (you can set it to run for about 90 days as well so it's similar to the rotation settings)

In the next few days my stats were looking much more even. The ads were now showing impressions with a 52/48 split.

If you have some time sensitive ad copy testing to do, it could be worth trying out this method as it really did help get more accurate data quicker.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TEST

Ad rotation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Allow us to take care of your loved ones.

Ad rotation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your personal care team.

Ad rotation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Contact Infomation. Emal=stevene5229@gmai.com

Phone 630-270-5520