AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad rotation, timing ads, graphs+notes, more ads with pla

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

I have some questions about implementation of some things I've notice it would be nice to have.

First ad rotation. I can change Ad Rotation in Adwords Editor from default: Optimized for Clicks to anything else, but if I export it to the *.csv file, it's not there(The line where you have your campaign settings in export- there's ECPC atd. but not a mentiuon about ad rotation) so after import of this *.csv file it is set back to optimized for clicks again.

Second timing ads. It would be awesome if you could just time some your ads for specific period of time.

For example, when some company is doing promotion for some product or for all products, they want to change maybe second description line with promotional information and then set it to run from Monday to Friday. But it can't be easily done or at least I'm not sure how. Maybe with scripts?

It would be nice to have a possibilty to add notes or comments if you will to Adwords graphs like you can add them to Analytics graphs.

Also there's a limit to one ad per shopping campaign in Adwords. It would be nice to have more than one. I mean these ads don't have to run all at once, but at least to have a chance to store those ads somewhere and set some time schedule on them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Re: Ad rotation, timing ads, graphs+notes, more ads with pla

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Alex A,

With regards to ad rotation, it is not an available CSV column as of yet. View the list of csv columns here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57747

The editor does allow importing/exporting of ad rotation settings in XML, but that is beyond me, and some one more technically inclined will have to help you there.

With regards to timing of ads. There are 3 ways you could do this.
The first is do pause and unpause manually.
The second would be to set up different campaigns with different ad schedule times.
The third would be via scripts, and this option would probably be more helpful but a lot more complicated.
The problem comes in where it sounds like you want to be reactionary to competitors, so it will take manual input on your part then.
If, however, you had a set number of ads that you wanted to run in each situation you could write a quick script to pause/unpause certain ads and then just run that script when you wanted to perform that action. If you would like more help with the script, let me know exactly what it is you are looking to do and I could suggest a few ways of building that script.

I do not know of anyway to ad notes to adwords graphs, although this would be a useful feature to ad.

With regards to the shopping campaigns, another will have to jump in here as that is outside my experience.

hope some of this helps at least Smiley Tongue, and I am sure someone else will jump in shortly to hep you where I couldn't (or dropped the ball)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Alex A,

With regards to ad rotation, it is not an available CSV column as of yet. View the list of csv columns here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57747

The editor does allow importing/exporting of ad rotation settings in XML, but that is beyond me, and some one more technically inclined will have to help you there.

With regards to timing of ads. There are 3 ways you could do this.
The first is do pause and unpause manually.
The second would be to set up different campaigns with different ad schedule times.
The third would be via scripts, and this option would probably be more helpful but a lot more complicated.
The problem comes in where it sounds like you want to be reactionary to competitors, so it will take manual input on your part then.
If, however, you had a set number of ads that you wanted to run in each situation you could write a quick script to pause/unpause certain ads and then just run that script when you wanted to perform that action. If you would like more help with the script, let me know exactly what it is you are looking to do and I could suggest a few ways of building that script.

I do not know of anyway to ad notes to adwords graphs, although this would be a useful feature to ad.

With regards to the shopping campaigns, another will have to jump in here as that is outside my experience.

hope some of this helps at least Smiley Tongue, and I am sure someone else will jump in shortly to hep you where I couldn't (or dropped the ball)

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hello Clynton M,

Altought some questions remained unaswered this was indeed very helpful reaction on my post. Thanks for that.

Others are welcome to join and discuss the remaining topics of discussion.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
And I'm not trying to get competitive. But there are certain branches of business where you want to keep your ads the same for a month maybe and then for some products and some ads change some text in ad and set them active and stop the current one for some period of time.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Always happy to help where I can Smiley Tongue

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
That does make life a lot simpler then, and I would suggest going with option 2 in most cases then. You can "duplicate" your campaigns and have them run at different times with different ad copy.

This would also be most beneficial for tracking the success of each endeavour and lead to better decisions for future campaigns.

Of course the size of some accounts may make this a daunting task, but then hopefully if the account is that big there is a team to rely on!