AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad relevance dillema: New landing page for new ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to improve my ad relevance. I have tried everything and I thought it would be much easier to create new landing page with changed title in order to improve ad relevance. New landing page will be hidden from search engines (robots.txt file) and only accesible trough ads.

Best option is to make an example.

Keywords: blue shoes, top blue shoes

Landing page: 

Title: Blue Shoes USA

Heading: Blue Shoes USA

URL: /blue-shoes

Ad relevance for "blue shoes" - 7

Ad relevance for "top blue shoes" -

Is it good option to create NEW page for keyword  "top blue shoes" with elements:

Title: Top blue shoes

Heading: Top blue shoes

URL:/top-blue-shoes

Content will be the same as "blue shoes" but as I said- I will hide new landing page from indexing because it could make me  SEO problem with duplicate content.

What is your practise?

How do you improve ad relevance?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ivan M
November 2015

Re: Ad relevance dillema: New landing page for new ad group?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree and disagree with the @MosheTLV comment.
Do both - you can see from your own example that the 'bots' do notice use of keywords in headers etc. those are objective elements - the keyword is there or not.
It is hard for anyone, let alone a bot, to quantify 'good navigation' many landing pages have only 1 link through to the main site and it's the logo.
So yes make sure content is great etc. that's how you get the conversions.

As you are asking about Quality Score then i believe that you have to do the technical things as mentioned above in your Q.

To directly answer your question yes create another landing page that focuses (with technical elements and content) on the different keyword 'top blue shoes' you should see a higher quality score.

NB: using robot.txt blocking does not necessarily make your page "hidden from search engines" - it is a little more complicated than that.
there are actions for don't index, index but don't 'follow', etc. thorough explanation here: https://moz.com/learn/seo/robotstxt

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ivan M;

You are working on technicalities, while you should focus on user experience, and content!  (Relevant and appealing content).

Forget the technicalities. Work on the content, the design and ease of navigation on the landing page. The bots scanning the page are quite advanced and recognize technical SEO methods. Write and design the page for human users, not to machines.

Further; focus on the CTR. This is the predominant component of the QS.

More about landing page experience:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ivan M
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree and disagree with the @MosheTLV comment.
Do both - you can see from your own example that the 'bots' do notice use of keywords in headers etc. those are objective elements - the keyword is there or not.
It is hard for anyone, let alone a bot, to quantify 'good navigation' many landing pages have only 1 link through to the main site and it's the logo.
So yes make sure content is great etc. that's how you get the conversions.

As you are asking about Quality Score then i believe that you have to do the technical things as mentioned above in your Q.

To directly answer your question yes create another landing page that focuses (with technical elements and content) on the different keyword 'top blue shoes' you should see a higher quality score.

NB: using robot.txt blocking does not necessarily make your page "hidden from search engines" - it is a little more complicated than that.
there are actions for don't index, index but don't 'follow', etc. thorough explanation here: https://moz.com/learn/seo/robotstxt