AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad rejected due to 'Site Policy' - Guidance needed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

So I set up my ad over the weekend but it's been rejected due to 'site policy. The exact message I received in my email was:

Site Policy: We've determined that your site doesn't comply with our
site policies. Because of this, any ads promoting this site have been
disapproved.

My site is: www.GetRidOfYourSpots.com

I've done some google research and come across othes who have also been disapproved due to site policy, but the suggestions to rectify that don't really apply to me. I've looked over my website and googles site policy but I can't see anything that I've done wrong.

Some help would be appreciated on this Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad rejected due to 'Site Policy' - Guidance needed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi31,

Although I cannot confirm this, my best guess is that you are in violation of the policy found on this page:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=1310866&guide=1308231&page=guide.c...

Your site text:  "Sign up on the right to receive the first few chapters of my ‘Spots Gone For Good’ guide FREE."

Collecting personally identifiable information in exchange for a free giftNot allowedGoogle doesn't allow the promotion of sites that collect personally identifiable information in exchange for a free gift (such as free eBooks, free videos, etc.) where collecting this information is the primary purpose of the site.
Offering incentives to collect personally identifiable informationNot allowedGoogle doesn't allow the promotion of sites that offer incentives in order to collect users' personal information (such as free quiz/survey results, horoscopes, etc.) where collecting this information is the primary purpose of the site.

You may want to contact Adwords support and see if you can verify this but I would wager to say that this is going to be a problem for you.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Ad rejected due to 'Site Policy' - User safety

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Ravi;

In addition to Tom's, I will take it from the content point view:

Google AdWords requires that advertisers provide transparency into the business/product that's being promoted. Google also requires that advertisers set realistic expectations about what their products and services can do for their users:. Therefore, we require that advertisers do the following:

1. Google doesn't allow sites that mislead users with scientifically improbable claims.
  2. Google doesn't allow sites that claim a product or service can provide benefits beyond the abilities of modern medicine.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys.

I've made changes (mainly removing the opt in box) and resubmitted for review.

I don't think I'm making unrealistic claims (I've seen similar sites that have been approved) but if Google deems I am, then I guess I'll have to change the wording. We'll see what Google says in the meantime.

Thanks again, I'll keep this thread updated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Argh! They disapproved again for 'site policy'.

I guess I'll have to change the wording on my site re: unrealistic expectations, but I've seen other websites say the same thing I am, so I'm a bit confused.

Could there be another reason my ad is getting disapproved?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

Ahh! 

Yes, there could be other reasons too, we're just trying to help you figure them out. 

I've seen other situations where a physical address is needed on each page, as well as you may need to include more information on the homepage about what the download button is for. I can see that it is just a link to another page, perhaps you could just link the download button to the PDF and explain the info that is currently here: http://www.getridofyourspots.com/freedownload/ right on the homepage.

Please understand that you could run into further issues if you keep submitting ads for review and keep getting them disapproved.  Please be careful.

Also, Moshe's suggestions could indeed be the main reason and if they are, no amount of changes could help.

Have you contacted support yet?  Sometimes they can be of assistance, other times, not so much.  The circumstances surrounding suspensions are sometimes kept quiet to avoid any manipulation by bad folks.

Can you post one of your ads here?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help.

Right, I've changed the site again, this time having the download option right on the home page instead of being directed to another page.

I contacted support yesterday (no reply as of yet) and rang them today but unfortunately they were closed due to it being a bank holiday.

My current ad is:

Are You Hiding In Your

Room While Your Friends Party?

Learn How To Get Rid Of Your Spots

www.GetRidOfYourSpots.com/FreeEbook

The main advice in my ebook is to adjust one's diet to help with spots/acne, there's nothing unrealistic about that or how long you can expect to see any improvements. Maybe I should put something along the lines of '....get rid of your spots by adjusting your diet' into the main body text of the home page? I'm not sure what else to do.

Before I resubmit for review, I'm going to talk to them over the phone to see if they can pinpoint what it is I'm doing wrong (I know this may be unlikely, judging from other posts I've read, but I don't want to get suspended before I've even advertised!).

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi,

I didn't notice you changed the subject of your reply - This is important.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=1308243&topic=131087...

I'm afraid Moshe is correct, you're now running into issues with your claims...

I understand what you're saying but I think you may need to take a direct approach where you do not claim anything will 'happen'.

Not sure what to suggest but contacting support is a great idea.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Tom