Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad position question. Please help!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm a new Adwords user and i have a question. Please help me to answer it. I have 2 keywords in same ad, they are similar, they have same QS and at the beginning their first page bid are the same too. I don't have any competitor with those 2 keywords. The problem is with a keyword, the ad appear at top and with the other, it appear at bottom of search result. After 2 days of running, there are a big diffirent between CTR of those 2 keywords. I have several keywords in the same situation: have no competitor but still appear at the bottom. Please somebody tell me why and how can i make it at the top ?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Ad position question. Please help!!!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi hanphong,

If there are other ads showing at the top of the SERP when your ad is at the bottom, then you should shoot to improve your Ad Rank (Quality Score & Bid) in order to reach for the highest position. 

If there are no other ads showing other than yours then you should read up on 'New ad placements on Search'.

Its been a tricky and underperforming ad placement for many people and most are not happy with the resutls...there is another thread on this exact subject here

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi hanphong,

Just because no other advertisers show for a particular query it does not mean your ad will show in top position for a low CPC. The QS is important, but more important is the CTR of your keywords. If you have a low CTR and a low bid, your ad will show in a lower position or not at all.

Look at it like this. It costs Google resources to show your ad. If your bid and CTR don't add up to the expense of resources on Google's end, they won't show the ad. Google would rather show no ads if none of them have any chance of paying for those resources.

You have two ways to achieve top of page--increase your bid or improve the quality score. At this point in your campaign, raising the bid is the bvest approach. If you need to raise the bid so high you can not recover that expense in conversions, you might need to give up on the keyword.

The other possiblity is that the 2 keywords aren't similar enough to get clicks. You might try creating a separate AdGroup for the poorer performing keyword and write your ad copy using that keyword.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi hanphong,

If there are other ads showing at the top of the SERP when your ad is at the bottom, then you should shoot to improve your Ad Rank (Quality Score & Bid) in order to reach for the highest position. 

If there are no other ads showing other than yours then you should read up on 'New ad placements on Search'.

Its been a tricky and underperforming ad placement for many people and most are not happy with the resutls...there is another thread on this exact subject here

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi hanphong,

Just because no other advertisers show for a particular query it does not mean your ad will show in top position for a low CPC. The QS is important, but more important is the CTR of your keywords. If you have a low CTR and a low bid, your ad will show in a lower position or not at all.

Look at it like this. It costs Google resources to show your ad. If your bid and CTR don't add up to the expense of resources on Google's end, they won't show the ad. Google would rather show no ads if none of them have any chance of paying for those resources.

You have two ways to achieve top of page--increase your bid or improve the quality score. At this point in your campaign, raising the bid is the bvest approach. If you need to raise the bid so high you can not recover that expense in conversions, you might need to give up on the keyword.

The other possiblity is that the 2 keywords aren't similar enough to get clicks. You might try creating a separate AdGroup for the poorer performing keyword and write your ad copy using that keyword.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

All the main reasons mentioned above, just to add one perspective why Google wont show ads even if no competition: the magic word is relevance. They want to show ads that are as relevant to user making the query as possible, same as with organic results. If it would be otherwise, all the advertisers would suffer. 

Without knowing your actual QS and CTR, these are anyway the ones you want to look into. Make sure your keyword, ad and landing page are all tightly related and not too general.

Thanks you guys for help me answer the question. In my ca...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you guys for help me answer the question.

In my case, 2 keywords are exactly the same, just have and have not punctuation like "viet nam" and "việt nam". That why they have same QS ( 7 ). Now, both those two's QS are 7 but the first page bid doesn't the same anymore. That hurt!

hung84to

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

m562ymsull29@m.youtube.com