3.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad lost its position when moved to new ad group

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm working on an adwords account that has been running the same ad for several years.  Queries consitetnly brought the ad up in positions 1-3.  But the keywords were all phrase-matched and we were spending a fortune bringing a lot of traffic to our site that really wasn't interested in our product.   Rather than play with negative keywords or start changing the phrase-matched keyword to exact I started a new ad group that used  the same ad but had all exact keywords. That way I can experiment but still have the old, unchanged,  ad group to fall back on. But I notice now that a search for one of the exact keywords brings the ad up in position 6 instead of 1-3.  It seems that the ad, - the same one that's run for several years,   is now a breand new ad to Google that Google doesn't trust yet, so it's starting the ad out ad position 6.

I'm just wondering if any one has some experience with this process and how long it will  take for the ad to regain its  old position.

Thanks for any info

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad lost its position when moved to new ad group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a duplicate thread...there are ongoing discussions here:  

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ad-lost-its-position-when-moved-to-new-ad-g...

and here:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ad-lost-its-position-when-moved-to-new-ad-g...

Smiley Happy

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Ad lost its position when moved to new ad group

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Tom,

I certainly didn't mean to post more than once.  I don't know how that happened.  It never happened before when I've posted here.

Sorry.

Steve