AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad group level vs Campaign level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question about what negative keywords to use on the ad group level. Take for example I have these three ad groups:

Vanilla Ice Cream = Ad Group 1

Chocolate Ice Cream = Ad Group 2

Cookie Dough Ice Cream = Ad Group 3

My question is what would be the negative keywords for one of these ad groups or all of these ad groups? The only thing I can come up with is to apply the same negative keywords that are in the campaign and apply them to the ad group level but I know that is the wrong thing to do.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel D
February 2017

Re: Ad group level vs Campaign level

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Daniel, how are things?

@Daniel D wrote:

The only thing I can come up with is to apply the same negative keywords that are in the campaign and apply them to the ad group level but I know that is the wrong thing to do.

If you already have negative keywords at the campaign level you don't need to add them on the ad group level.

Think of campaign level as keywords that will fit to ALL ad groups within that campaign. For instance, if Vanilla,  chocolate and Cookie Dough are the ONLY flavors you sell, you can add other flavors you don't have as a negative at the campaign level: strawberry, blueberry, coconut, nutella and so forth.

Now think on negative at Ad group level as a more specific thing. For instance, for you to make absolutely sure that your groups won't compete with them selves (excluding keyword match type from this example), you can add the flavors you DO sell as negative within those groups.

On the Vanilla ad group, you add "chocolate" and "cookie dough" as negatives

On the Chocolate ad group, you add "vanilla" and "cookie dough" as negatives

On the Cookie Dough ad group, you add "vanilla" and 'chocolate" as negatives

That way you will make sure that ony that specific flavor will trigger the Ad.

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel D
February 2017

Re: Ad group level vs Campaign level

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Daniel, how are things?

@Daniel D wrote:

The only thing I can come up with is to apply the same negative keywords that are in the campaign and apply them to the ad group level but I know that is the wrong thing to do.

If you already have negative keywords at the campaign level you don't need to add them on the ad group level.

Think of campaign level as keywords that will fit to ALL ad groups within that campaign. For instance, if Vanilla,  chocolate and Cookie Dough are the ONLY flavors you sell, you can add other flavors you don't have as a negative at the campaign level: strawberry, blueberry, coconut, nutella and so forth.

Now think on negative at Ad group level as a more specific thing. For instance, for you to make absolutely sure that your groups won't compete with them selves (excluding keyword match type from this example), you can add the flavors you DO sell as negative within those groups.

On the Vanilla ad group, you add "chocolate" and "cookie dough" as negatives

On the Chocolate ad group, you add "vanilla" and "cookie dough" as negatives

On the Cookie Dough ad group, you add "vanilla" and 'chocolate" as negatives

That way you will make sure that ony that specific flavor will trigger the Ad.

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Daniel D,

In case you only list exact match keywords chances are you will not need any negatives. Else it seems advisable to go ahead as this:

Ad Group 1                    -chocolate, -cookie dough

Ad Group 2                    -vanilla, -cookie dough

Ad Group 3                    -vanilla, -chocolate

That's just for staying on the safe side. Because the terms are included in keywords in other ad groups, Google will likely do the job on its own. (but you cannot be 100% sure) More importantly, going ahead also remember to regularly weed out irrelevant search terms coming up in the Search Terms report.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @leandrofm,  I'm doing pretty good and thank you for answering my question. Now that you mention it about putting negative keywords "vanilla" and "chocolate" for the ad group Cookie Dough Ice Cream that makes a lot of sense. For my campaign negative keywords I already had a decent knowledge of them for a beginner like some of the negative keywords I used for my campaign were "free", "recipe", "cookies", "cakes" as some examples but when you mentioned about using ice cream flavors the business doesn't sell for negative keywords on the campaign level was something I never thought about so thank you for that information.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Lakatos, thanks for the reply. I am not only using exact match, I also use broad match modified as well. And I have definitely been doing some keyword research on the search terms. I just wasn't too sure about the ad group level negative keywords but thanks to you and @leandrofm I understand perfectly now so thanks for your help. I'll give you an example of what some of my keywords were for my Ad group "Vanilla Ice Cream":

+homemade +vanilla +ice +cream

+vanilla +ice +cream

"homemade vanilla ice cream"

"vanilla ice cream"