Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad displayed in excluded location, why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My ad is being displayed in the location (City) that I have blocked in the campaign settings. Can anyone please tell me why this is happening. I am not using Remarketing

Regards

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad displayed in excluded location, why?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello shailendra,

Have you used the second option in the "advanced location options" ?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

because the default one allows search strings with your location name in them

"People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

It may also depend upon how Google is "locating" the visitor. Here in my office Google says (correctly) that I am in Marbella -  but at home (about 3km away) my visits are recorded as being from Madrid (about 600km away) - this is down to how the broadband network is configured here - so I might well see ads that excluded Marbella at home.... and not see ads that excluded Madrid... IP is not the only signal Google uses, but it is the main one I believe.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the helpful replies guys but it was a different problem and a network guy helped me.

Actually, the person on whose system the ad appeared was on a VPN connection and due to change in IP, Google could not identify the correct location.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

That makes sense.... the way in which we connect to the internet is going to make it harder and harder for Google to "locate" us accurately - as the cloud grows so the physical location will become less clear.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Maybe I'm being slow but I'm not sure that does make sense to me.  Where did you see the reported location?  Was it in a Google product or your own/third party software?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author shailendra
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jon (@cobnut)

As I mentioned earlier, my home router is connected (somewhow - I'm not sure) through Madrid which is 600km away.

Hence, all my visits - and I can see them since for many of my clients I'm the only person who visits their site from Spain! - are recorded as coming from Madrid.

Thus if I excluded the province of  Malaga - which is where I am, I would still see ads since Google thinks I'm in Madrid....

At least I assume that's what would happen.... in reality I suspect that for most campaigns this is a quirk and a minority - but I know similar things happen in Australia for example where broadband is also quite centralized.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

This is what happened - I launched the AdWords campaign for one of our products and excluded my city as I didn't want the ad appear in my city. So, on Campaign Settings page, under Locations, I searched for my city name and clicked the Exclude link.

After 3-4 hours I checked on Google with the target keyword and the ad didn't appear. But one of my colleagues searched with the same keyword and ad came on the top position! I checked the same on other computers but couldn't replicate the condition i.e. ad did not appear on any machine except his.

I discussed this with the network guy and he told me that since he is connected via VPN therefore he is bypassing the official network and is connected via some other outside network and this may be the cause for such situation. We took his system off VPN and the ad disappeared.

Le me know if our inference is wrong and it happened due to some other reason.

Regards,

Shailendra Sial

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author shailendra
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

No, I think that's OK Shailendra, I just wanted to make sure what you were saying.    You original reply had me wondering if you'd been told VPNs were different in some way just because they were VPNs, not because of their physical location.

As Steve has said, when Google uses IP address to determine location (and it doesn't only use IP address) it's precision is only as good as the most current location data for that address and it can vary dramatically.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits