Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad copy best practices in 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Few questions here:

1) I remember in the past that adding a punctuation (period or exclamation) at the end of DL1 gave the ad the opportunity to have DL1 promoted to an extended headline. Now with Expanded Text Ads is this even a tactic anymore?

2) Best practice is to always have minimum 3 ads in an ad group rotate for optimal performance. Is that per ad format? ie: 3 standard ads & 3 ETAs -- or could it be 1 standard ad & 2 ETAs. My guess is the former.

3) This isn't specifically related to ad copy, but since all Adwords ads are enabled for autotagging now, how can the keyword be found in the URL string once it hits a destination URL? Is that what gclid populates? I know gclid is the messenger between GA & AW, but for some landing page software I need a way to parse out the keyword string and since I don't use UTMs, wondering how auto-tagging in Adwords allows for this.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad copy best practices in 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Johnny, how are things?

Very nice questions. Let's go to them:

Johnny K wrote:

1) I remember in the past that adding a punctuation (period or exclamation) at the end of DL1 gave the ad the opportunity to have DL1 promoted to an extended headline. Now with Expanded Text Ads is this even a tactic anymore?

From what I know about the Expanded Ads this doesn't work anymore mainly because we only have on single line of description, so this kind of ad format does not exist with the ETA.

Johnny K wrote:

2) Best practice is to always have minimum 3 ads in an ad group rotate for optimal performance. Is that per ad format? ie: 3 standard ads & 3 ETAs -- or could it be 1 standard ad & 2 ETAs. My guess is the former.

Consider having the variations only for ETA. They will be the default and standard option after December/16 If I'm not mistaken and the older format won't run anymore. Also, with ETA having a little more then 50% increase in size, what's the point in using the old format at all right? You would loose a lot of opportunities and competitors can have bigger ads then yours.

Johnny K wrote:

3) This isn't specifically related to ad copy, but since all Adwords ads are enabled for autotagging now, how can the keyword be found in the URL string once it hits a destination URL? Is that what gclid populates? I know gclid is the messenger between GA & AW, but for some landing page software I need a way to parse out the keyword string and since I don't use UTMs, wondering how auto-tagging in Adwords allows for this.

You can't see the keyword through gclid information directly on URL, because this information is embedded inside gclid along with many other information, so only Google Analytics can receive that.

If you wish to know the keyword that was triggered and clicked, you should use Google Value Tracks, which are dynamic parameters that Google will fill for you. This page have everything you need to know about it: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click