2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad budget and keyword budget?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I understand how Max.CPC and daily budget work. What I don't understand is this.

When I am trying to build my keyword ad-group I have to set my Max.CPC and Daily budget on them also. Am I going to get a another charge for how my keywords are clicked to trigger my Ad.

Are is this just showing me that if a keyword gets good clicks at .15 cents a click and a $5.00 a day budget.

Then I would have to have my Ad budget set to "At-least" that before my Ad would perform.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad budget and keyword budget?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

You cap your daily spending--set your daily budget--at the Campaign level. The total of all the daily caps for all your active campaigns, added together, is how much your entire account might spend in a day. If you have three active campaignsk, each capped at $10, your entire account might spend as much as $30 each day.

At the Ad Group and keyword levels, you're capping only how much you might want to pay for an individual click on an ad--your "bid" for clicks. The Ad Group bid sets a cap for all the keywords in that Ad Group. If you also use a keyword level bid, to offer either a lower or higher cap than the "default" Ad Group bid, then that will override the Ad Group level bid.

In other words, the bids you set on Ad Groups and keywords are not a daily budget. They control only how much you might pay for individual clicks.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm still confused.

Let's say I have my "Ad-group" which is my "keyword group" set at a Max.CPC
of .15 cents and a daily budget of $5.00 but I have my Ad-campaign set at
.10 Max.CPC with a daily budget of $4.00, How will this work?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

To be honest, I don't even understand what you're saying.

You do not/cannot set a "budget" (that is, a daily spending cap) at any level below the campaign level. I'm not certain where in your account you think you're setting this Ad Group level budget but I suspect it is, as I described before, an Ad Group level click bid.

You might set a keyword bid at the campaign level, depending on what kind of bidding option you've selected, but most campaign-level settings cannot be overridden at the Ad Group or Keyword level.  I'm not sure where in your campaign settings you think you're setting a click/keyword bid?

If you can be more specific about which screens you were on and where you think you took these actions, maybe we can work our way Smiley Happy to being less confused!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the reply.

I think it just "clicked" for me on how this whole process is suppose to work. You have been great help.