3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Words vs Avg Visit Duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As an absolute complete newbie I am confused. I am just starting to experiement with adwords and analytics. I have set up my first campaign and I have noticed that on a lot of my click throughs when I go look at the google analytics there is zero time on site and yet on a lot of the others there is any where from 15 seconds to 10 minutes. How can there be click throughs with zero time and should I be concerned about this? Thanks in advance for any advice...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Words vs Avg Visit Duration

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

A visit that results in an exit after viewing the first page on the website (the "landing" page) is called a "bounce". For such visits the system cannot calculate the time on site, because the time on site is always (the time of the landing on the last page of the visit - the time of the landing on the first page of the visit). As you can see, the period of time spent on the last page of the visit cannot be calculated, because there is no "next" page landing time to subtract from.

That is why you see zero time on site for visits which start and end on the same page.

And yes, you should be very concerned, because that means you are attracting irrelevant, useless traffic, for which you are paying.

So you are either using the wrong keywords, too broad keywords, you promise something in your ads which is not found on the website, or something on the landing page (or lack thereof) scares your visitors away.

Try to perform a Search Term report and see what were people searching for when they clicked your ad and came to your website. If you find many irrelevant search terms, make use of negative keywords or tighter match types (or both).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply it was very helpful!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

In addition to excellent reply from Calin above regarding bounce rate, I would like to put in one of my thought here.

Just in case if you have targeted single standalone page for your Adwords campaigns containing the email address or phone number, there is a possibility that the user spent time on it but leave it after reading the content and noted down your phone number or email address for later contact. This would also result in a bounce but it doesn't mean that the visit was not worth for you.

In order to measure these kind of visits, there is something called Adjusted Bounce Rate. All you need to do is to set a minimum time for which you think that the visit shouldn't be considered a bounce. Update the analytics code and see the magic. I myself used it and found pretty interesting and got some good stats to analyze. Read this article for more directions.

Just a thought!

Pankaj