AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad URL options (advanced), Tracking template and Custom parameter.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently created a tracking template at the account level by going to "Shared library > URL options". In the Tracking template field I entered this string: 

{lpurl}&utm_campaign={campaignid}&utm_term={keyword}&utm_source=google_cpc&utm_content={adposition}&group_id={adgroupid}&ext_id={feeditemid}&match_type={matchtype}

I saved my changes and went back to look at my ads. I was under the impression that unless this string is overrided at the campaign level that it would take effect in my ads. However, I previewed my ads using the Ad Preview function as well as viewed the Final URL's by going to "Dimensions tab > View tab > Final URL" when looking at an ad under "All Campaigns". And in both instances my ad url was still just my domain name without any tracking at the end.

How do I get the Tracking template to work in my ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James K
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi James K,

Placing it in the Shared Library makes it available for use in campaigns, but you'll still need to go to each campaign and select the template to use. That will activate the template for all ad groups as well. If you already have tracking templates for those campaigns, you will need to replace those templates with the template in the shared library. After that, any changes you make to the template in the shared library will be reflected in the campaigns that use that template.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James K
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi James K,

Placing it in the Shared Library makes it available for use in campaigns, but you'll still need to go to each campaign and select the template to use. That will activate the template for all ad groups as well. If you already have tracking templates for those campaigns, you will need to replace those templates with the template in the shared library. After that, any changes you make to the template in the shared library will be reflected in the campaigns that use that template.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords