AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Triggering Targeted locations

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I offer mainly services in a few suburbs of a large metro (kansas city) which I do not service. However, If you search for our services using Google search with (instant on) first in line is xyz kansas city. So I will assume customers from my suburb will use that search term for results because its first and faster!

Because I elected not to include kansas city in my targeted locations my ads will not show in the locations i do target although I have keywords like [xyz kansas city] and ads to match.

Is there away to have the search term and ad triggered in my services area, without having to run the ad in the entire metro area?

The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States What can I do?
Showing ads right now? No

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Triggering Targeted locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi JRs P and welcome to the Community.  I'm not sure I've entirely understood the problem you're having.

First off, "Instant" is completely and totally separate from AdWords and neither influences, nor is influenced by your AdWords Account so any problems you're having with that are related to Instant, and not AdWords!

As far as AdWords is concerned, a lot will depend upon how large the "suburbs" are that you cover, and which Advanced Settings you use for AdWords.  I believe in the US you can target by zip code so this should be pretty accurate but you should also check what the settings are for location targeting.  By default these settings will show your Ads to anyone in or searching for information about your chosen area.    If, for example, I targeted the UK with the default settings then not only would my Ads show to anyone in the UK, but they could also show to you if you entered a search term that was relevant to the UK, for example, if I was advertising a hotel and you searched for "hotel UK".

I can't predict exactly which setting you should use as I don't know your business or your performance profile but you should at least be targeting only those zip codes in your serviced areas.

Does this help at all?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.. I totally get "Instant" is completely and totally separate from AdWords"

The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States What can I do?
Showing ads right now? No

Bottom line is that I would like the ad to show for [xyz kansas city] in my targeted locations (which is not kansas city) without targeting the entire Kansas City metro.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If the "bubble" is saying "No" for your Ads being shown, it would give you a reason as well - can you share what that reason is?

Another silly question, but do you actually have Keywords containing the terms "xyz", "kansas" and "city"?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits