Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Rotation within an AdGroup with both Non Mobile and Mobile targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI all -

i asked this question on the Adwords API forum (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/adwords-api/QzrNCll09tw) and they suggested an answer - , but also suggested i ask the question here . 

Question

If i have 2 Ads in an AdGroup and i am targeting NON mobile (ie no device preference set on the ads) and i have my campaign settings set to "ROTATE_INDEFINITELY" i can expect those ads to rotate more or less evenly - this is what we have currently

If i now Add another Ad to that AdGroup, BUT set it's device preference to CriterionId 30001 (targeting mobile devices) - what will the effect be on the other 2 ads showing specifically on NON mobile.

Will the 2 original ads continue to rotate evenly on Non Mobile ?
Will the fact that the Mobile targeted ad is present have a bearing on that rotation ?

I am presuming that having an ad that directly target's mobile, would never be a candidate to select in those available for Non Mobile targeting within an ad group where the campaign is set to ROTATE_INDEFINITELY

Answer Given
Hi Giles,
As far as I know, the mobile device preference (30001) means that we will do a best effort to serve this ad on mobile, but it's not 100% guaranteed. The other two ads will serve on desktop and mobile. If you want them to serve only on desktop, you'd want to set a very low bid modifier on mobile for these ads.

Other than that, the ads should work as you expect. Though, this is a product-specific question, so I recommend posting on https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/# and ask a Google Community manager to confirm.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.

So would someone here be able to confirm the expected behavior ?

Many thank in advance

Giles

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Giles B
March 2016

Re: Ad Rotation within an AdGroup with both Non Mobile and Mobile targeting

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@pankaj1782 beat me to the response but I already had it typed up so I'll submit anyways. I think the link at the bottom is an interesting case study:

Will the 2 original ads continue to rotate evenly on Non-Mobile? Yes, while using “rotate indefinitely” the mobile preferred ad should only show for that mobile device and not on desktops (although there could be a couple desktop impressions)

Will the fact that the Mobile targeted ad is present have a bearing on that rotation? Not on desktop. Generally if you have ads targeted to all and mobile ads in one ad group the mobile ads will only show on mobile. There are a couple situations where if you have extremely high mobile bid adjustments or have your ad rotation set to ‘optimize for conversions’ that your ads targeting all may show on mobile devices, but that doesn’t seem like a concern for you.

Lastly, note that you can’t set mobile bid adjustments at an ad-level as suggested by Anash. Here is an awesome article that is relevant to you: http://www.ppchero.com/do-mobile-preferred-ads-actually-prefer-mobile/

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Giles,

That is correct. If you specifically create ad with mobile device preference, AdWords would try to showcase them on mobile devices. However they don't commit that those can't be shown on desktops.

Similarly if you are targeting all the devices (which is by default) and doesn't select device preference during ad creation, your ads could show on all the devices i.e. desktops, mobiles, tablets.

One work around could be to disable mobile devices in one campaign by reducing the bids by 100% and show ads only on desktops, tablets. Then create a separate campaign and do the mobile bid adjustment (with device preference ads on mobiles) by increasing bids by 300%, in order to show them mostly for the mobile devices.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Giles B
March 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@pankaj1782 beat me to the response but I already had it typed up so I'll submit anyways. I think the link at the bottom is an interesting case study:

Will the 2 original ads continue to rotate evenly on Non-Mobile? Yes, while using “rotate indefinitely” the mobile preferred ad should only show for that mobile device and not on desktops (although there could be a couple desktop impressions)

Will the fact that the Mobile targeted ad is present have a bearing on that rotation? Not on desktop. Generally if you have ads targeted to all and mobile ads in one ad group the mobile ads will only show on mobile. There are a couple situations where if you have extremely high mobile bid adjustments or have your ad rotation set to ‘optimize for conversions’ that your ads targeting all may show on mobile devices, but that doesn’t seem like a concern for you.

Lastly, note that you can’t set mobile bid adjustments at an ad-level as suggested by Anash. Here is an awesome article that is relevant to you: http://www.ppchero.com/do-mobile-preferred-ads-actually-prefer-mobile/

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the detailed reply Jim (And Pankaj Previously)