Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview Tool

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I have noticed a few times when I searched for a keyword using the Ad Preview Tool and a page with no ads at all would show up along with the red bar at the top saying my ad was not showing and there was a number of reasons why that happens.

I personally have never come across a page that had zero ads on it when searching Google. I was wondering if the Ad Preview Tool made a mistake or if there are times when Google will not show any ads during a search.

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
September 2016

Ad Preview Tool

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Jillian,

When the population of a city is very small, you will occasionally see that there are no ads showing. As for the preview tool, I don't think it is an error, just hit refresh until you can see your ads Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Re: Ad Preview Tool

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Jillian_S,

Not all searches will provide an associated ad. The ad preview tool attempts to mimic the full functionality of an actual SERP (Search Engine Results Page) but does not guarantee to fully do so i.e. show other ads.

The main purpose of the ad preview and diagnosis tool is to determine if YOUR ads are showing, not how many ads will show for a given search.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Ad Preview Tool

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Nick C

I understand that the ad preview tool is meant to determine if my ads are showing. I'm not wondering how many ads will show for a given search. 

I'm wondering why sometimes no ads show up at all including mine but when I hit search again (in the preview tool), my ad is showing. Is this an issue? 

Thanks for your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
September 2016

Ad Preview Tool

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Jillian,

When the population of a city is very small, you will occasionally see that there are no ads showing. As for the preview tool, I don't think it is an error, just hit refresh until you can see your ads Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

Ad Preview Tool

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jillian

I dont think its Adwords issue. Im betting that the ad preview tool acts similarly to that of any other Google.com search - and sometimes it just doesnt serve an ad (for whatever reason). You might have to speak with a Google engineer to get a scientific answer for this one. Smiley Happy

Re: Ad Preview Tool

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jillian,

"I personally have never come across a page that had zero ads on it when searching Google."

Please perform searches for cannabis, CIA and crude oil to see 3 such SERPs. The first term is banned, the second is gov't entity while the third one is not advertised to the general public.  

There is a plethora of reasons why Google would not show adverts on SERPs. Therefore I tend to concur with @Ben J in that it is not an issue at all. Simultaneously I don't think it should be regarded as a scientific question. The most typical reason is that former advertisers in the past 10 years failed to use those terms in a way acceptable for Google.

Best,

Lakatos

Ad Preview Tool

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Jillian S

The Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool can be challenging sometimes.  There are a few messages that you can run into that make little sense but at the same time, can help you determine if you need to address some potential issues.

As far as having no ads for a given search, in some cases, the quality of the ads for the specific search may not meet the quality threshold and therefore none will show.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/156066?hl=en

"In order to be consistent with our philosophy of showing the right ad to the right user at the right time, we'd rather show no ads on a page than show low-quality ads. That's why every ad needs to meet a minimum Ad Rank threshold in order to show. You might often find that there are no ads on a page, even when an advertiser is bidding on the query that generated those results. You can find out why your ad may not be showing for a given query by using keyword diagnosis."

Hope this helps!

-Tommy 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Ad Preview Tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jillian, I experience the same thing on occasion - not every keyword/phrase but a significant number of them at least. I can type the query directly into google and see my ad, but when I try it in the ad preview and diagnosis tool, I get nada. Doesn't really matter what location I pick. The error message ' no, your ad isn't showing for this keyword right now. There are a number of reasons why this happens.' is basically worthless. Give me a list of reasons why it happens so I can start troubleshooting or throw up an error that says ' oops we don't know why but your ad isn't showing ' so I don't waste my time trying to figure it out.