AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview Tool and Minimum Threshold for Ad Placement?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If I am able to see my ad in the ad preview tool, does this mean that my ad meets the minimum threshold for ad placement?

If so, terrific.

If not, here's what I'm up against:

I'm the only bidder (no other competitors) on a low-volume keyword (≈10 searches per month). These searches are important to me and I don't want to miss any of them. And since there are no other competitors bidding on this keyword, I want to set my max cpc low. The tricky part is that since the keyword is so low-volume, then if I were to see 0 impressions, 0 clicks, it could mean that the searches haven't occurred yet, or it could mean that they have occurred but my ad wasn't above the threshold to be displayed. So how would I tell which is the case?----This question is irrelevant if the answer to the question above is a 100% yes.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Ad Preview Tool and Minimum Threshold for Ad Placement?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Alex

for your first question yes when you use the ad preview tool you can find in particular moments whether your ad being displayed and which position its been displayed.

For your second question there is nothing to worry if you can see your ad in ad preview tool. Also in a search campaign running your mouse over status bubble will tell you the status of your ad, whether its running it or not.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Alex

for your first question yes when you use the ad preview tool you can find in particular moments whether your ad being displayed and which position its been displayed.

For your second question there is nothing to worry if you can see your ad in ad preview tool. Also in a search campaign running your mouse over status bubble will tell you the status of your ad, whether its running it or not.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nisal,
I appreciate your reply but your response does not answer either of my questions.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
you are talking about search network ads here right? so if you can see your ad in preview tool yes your ad meets the minimum threshold for ad placement in search network.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Can someone else confirm this, maybe someone from Google?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Alex ;

@Nisal L  is correct; The ad preview tool is a simulation  of an actual search  without saving a cookie. Once you see your ad using the tool this means it won a slot / position in an auction.

As for your second question: check the  lost impression share metrics  to find whether you missed impressions due to budget or rank;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Nisal and thank you Moshe for the more detailed explanation.