AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview Tool - Showing Ads in Wrong Location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For market research, I am currently using the Ad Preview Tool to view ads running for specific companies. Unfortunately, even though I set the location to the local location of a business in the tool, it still shows me results from my own location. For example, if I search for "dodge dealership" and set the location to San Jose, CA, the ad preview tool still shows me results from my Raleigh, NC location. Is the ad preview tool faulty? Or am I searching the wrong way? Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle K
September 2015

Re: Ad Preview Tool - Showing Ads in Wrong Location

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again ;
The ad preview tool shows  an ad as a random user will see it, based on advertiser's Geo targeting.
So if for some reason (as happened in this case) an advertiser in NC Geo targets CT, and you are in CT, you will see the ad. (Assuming it wins the auction)
The only (major) difference between the "preview tool" and Google search is that the "preview tool" does not store cookies, and impressions are not counted.

(I hope I was able to explain better this time.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello there;
No. This should not be the case.
Pls, double check. When you select a location - you should get an "auto complete" suggested list of locations. Did you select a San Jose using the suggested list?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello and thank you very much for your response. Yes, I am selecting San
Jose as it shows in the suggested list of locations. I will post a
screenshot of an example of what is happening shortly.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This sounds as a bug... Could you upload a screenshot?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Honestly, this is not the best example but it still shows some of what I am seeing. This problem doesn't occur every time, but happens often enough that it's become a bit of a problem. I will try and find a better example to post, but for now, here is an example:

1.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a better example:

2.png

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Ok;

Thanks for the sceeenshots.
Some of these sites are poorly designed and do not fit into my browser. .. Parts are seen in gibberish...
My opinion - those advertisers wrongly set their targeting options, and though they might not intend to target these regions, they do target them, hence you see the ads.

(I have seen this with other dealerships, which have several locations,  targeting a  broader  Geo area)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for all of your help! I mostly see this issue happening when I search for dealership and dentistry ads.

I understand why ads in my geographical location might show up in searches for another location because of the ad campaign set up; however, it was my understanding that the Google Ad Preview Tool should not take into account my actual location if I manually select another location. Would this not be the case?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again ;
The ad preview tool shows  an ad as a random user will see it, based on advertiser's Geo targeting.
So if for some reason (as happened in this case) an advertiser in NC Geo targets CT, and you are in CT, you will see the ad. (Assuming it wins the auction)
The only (major) difference between the "preview tool" and Google search is that the "preview tool" does not store cookies, and impressions are not counted.

(I hope I was able to explain better this time.)

Ad Preview Tool - Showing Ads in Wrong Location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This does not answer the question, which I have the same one.  When I try to change the target on the ad preview diagnostic tool,  it will not change {after clicking on "edit" and then selecting a new target area, it still does not change the target area, it stays as it was as if I did nothing}