star_border

Ad Not Running Due to Low Ad Rank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Scenario:

• Quality Score 6/10
  • Ad Preview & Diagnosis confirms ad is not running due to Ad Rank

I've read all of the guide information links and searched through this forum but have no concrete steps to take next.

The message, "We currently can't determine why your ad isn't showing." is thoroughly unhelpful.

Suggestions aside from upping the bid (AKA throwing money at the problem)?

- Frustrated

Untitled.png

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

As it says: Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score.

To get your ads showing, either improve your Quality Score or (much easier) raise your bid.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

AdWords is an auction. The highest bidders get their ads showing on the first page. If they are tracking conversions, presumably the ads are profitable for them. You'll find that typically it isn't the cost per click that ultimately matters, but rather the skills in writing ad copy, the choice of keywords, applying negative keywords, and how well their product sells when people get to their site.

Your actual click costs are often much lower than the amount you bid...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

In addition to the great insights from @RobSkelton, check your campaign structure as well.

One search term should not be targeted from more than one adgroup. In simple, terms, do not have the same keywords in different adgroups. However, if you have more than one variation or match types in one adgroup, have differences in the bids you place.

For instance, bidding highest on the Exact Match and the lowest on Broad. It will minimize the in-fighting to a greater extent. 

Next, work with your ad copies, try establishing their better relevance with the keywords, add as many extensions you thoughtfully can. Write good CTAs and work with landing pages. It all will help improve your quality score over a period and will help keep costs to the minimum. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi @MH3PL L,

Working on the strategies shared by the experts will definitely improve the QS and hence you will need less bids to retain the same ad position.

Additionally, focus on all possible ad extensions which also helps in improving the ad rank.

Analyse you historical data and implement bid adjustments/automated rules to save budget during non performing days of the week/hours of the day/device and utilize the same during most profitable times.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
d l
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
d l
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ratan-Jha,

I'm also having the same issue with our brand name keyword:

-10/10 QS

-Position 1.1

-Est top page bid £0.03

-Est first position bid £0.35

-Max CPC (current bid) £1.00

But the status of the keyword says 'Won't appear due to low ad rank.'

I think this is due to what you mentioned: 'do not have the same keywords in different groups' - I have our brand name in one group, the word 'bathrooms' is apart of the brand name... In another group I have the keyword 'bathrooms'...

if I changed the keywords match type from broad to exact for the brand name would this help fix the issue (won't appear due to low Ad rank)? Or should I just remove the keyword 'bathrooms' in the other group as the brand name is triggering this search term anyway?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as this is puzzling me. Thank you.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Have separate brand ad groups - one with the exact and phrase keywords, and one with the broad. 

Then you should see no problem with the exact and phrase ad group... and you can see which queries are triggering your broad keyword and make decisions based on that.