Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Groups Competing Against Each Other?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding Ad Groups, I am 99% sure of the answer but it never hurts to ask.

I have created a Campaign that I want to focus on Mobile with. 

I created duplicate ad groups with the same keywords for Mobile and Desktop, with different text ads for each.

Looking back I could have done one Ad Group with both and Google would choose the most relevant text ad to display and I've could have seen Mobile/Desktop data by segmenting devices.

However, if I leave it like this, will my Ad Groups compete against each other in a negative way? Or will Google choose the most relevant keyword > text ad without negatively affecting my campaign?

The keywords are exactly the same in both Ad Groups:

Ad Group 1

+keyword 

"keyword"

Ad Group 2

+keyword 

"keyword"

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jacqueline D
December 2015

Re: Ad Groups Competing Against Each Other?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jacqueline D,

Duplicate keywords don't really compete in the sense of driving up your costs. When more than one keyword is eligible to trigger an ad, they go into a mini-auction within your account. The keyword with the highest AdRank is selected to enter the general auction, where the process starts over again. True duplicate keywords should always have the same QS to start with, but if there are differences in response between mobile and desktop, which I would expect, the QS of the keyword with a higher CTR should go up while the QS of that keyword in another ad group with lower CTR should go down. In that case, the system could choose to show the ad from the keyword with the higher AdRank, regardless of the mobile/desktop preference setting.

Even when you mark ads as mobile or desktop, the other ad will still be shown some of the time. A search on a mobile device will normally be shown the mobile-preferred ad, but not always. Even with this structure, you will probably need to watch results by device type to see if your strategy is effective.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jacqueline D
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jacqueline D,

Duplicate keywords don't really compete in the sense of driving up your costs. When more than one keyword is eligible to trigger an ad, they go into a mini-auction within your account. The keyword with the highest AdRank is selected to enter the general auction, where the process starts over again. True duplicate keywords should always have the same QS to start with, but if there are differences in response between mobile and desktop, which I would expect, the QS of the keyword with a higher CTR should go up while the QS of that keyword in another ad group with lower CTR should go down. In that case, the system could choose to show the ad from the keyword with the higher AdRank, regardless of the mobile/desktop preference setting.

Even when you mark ads as mobile or desktop, the other ad will still be shown some of the time. A search on a mobile device will normally be shown the mobile-preferred ad, but not always. Even with this structure, you will probably need to watch results by device type to see if your strategy is effective.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Best strategy is use these keywords once in an adgroup and create 2 similar ads one is mobile preferred and one without any preference.
Any search on mobile will give preference to the mobile preferred ad; else for desktops/tablets searches, the other ad without preference will be triggered.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Pete! Very helpful response.
-Jacqueline

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Archit!