Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Group Structure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I have to create a campaign for "damaged hair" - "Thinning Hair" is a main keyword and I wonder whether it could be convenient to group keywords like these together* or if I better create different ads (we just have and will have 1 landing page)

thinning hair shampoo
thinning hair solutions
thinning hair remedies
thinning hair causes

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author 0906 S
September 2015

Re: Ad Group Structure

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi 0906,

As you are selling a shampoo you can keep all these keywords together in a single ad group if you want as it is a solution/remedy for thinning hair.

But splitting these in to their own specific ad group will give you some great benefits.

I will split them in to different ad groups. For example

Ad group 1 - Thinning hair shampoo

keywords

thinning hair shampoo
shampoo for thinning hair
...and similar keywords

Ad group 2 - Thinning hair solutions

Keywords
thinning hair solution
solution for thinning hair
solution for thin hair
...and similar keywords

The advantage
1. You can have very specific ad copy as per the keywords in the ad group. Use a title like - Shampoo for Thinning Hair in ad group 1 and a title like - Thinning Hair Solution in Ad Group 2. The result - Searchers will find your ads highly relevant with their query. Your CTR will be better, resulting in good quality score and low cost per click.

2. You can easily find which keywords work well for you as they are in different ad groups. Account optimization will be more effective and easy.

3. You can implement ad group specific negative keywords and bid strategy (very useful with generic keywords like 'thinning hair causes'.

Go through the information on the link below which has some good advice about your account structuring.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470

Hope this helps,

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi, further to the replies you've already received, I'd think carefully about the match type you use with your Keywords.  You'll want to avoid the basic Broad match as all of your words are very common and you'll end up with a very large number of impressions and poor CTR.

I'd suggest using the Modified Broad Match as an absolute minimum, e.g.

+thinning +hair +shampoo

and a number of Phrase matches as well, e.g.

"thinning hair shampoo"

Over time, as you gather data, you will be able to examine the search terms that are most useful and add other Phrase matches and Exact matches as appropriate.

More about Match Types

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi 0906,

Welcome to the community!

Can you please share which product/service you are promoting through your campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A new organic shampoo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I would group them separately as they have different intent and as to not affect the quality score (QS) of each keywords:

Ad Group 01: thinning hair shampoo
Ad Group 02: thinning hair solutions
Ad Group 03: thinning hair remedies
Ad Group 04: thinning hair causes

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Same thing if I have:
Brittle Hair
Dry Hair
Burnt Hair

So many adds with a few keywords instead of grouping all under the hair condition?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi 0906,

As you are selling a shampoo you can keep all these keywords together in a single ad group if you want as it is a solution/remedy for thinning hair.

But splitting these in to their own specific ad group will give you some great benefits.

I will split them in to different ad groups. For example

Ad group 1 - Thinning hair shampoo

keywords

thinning hair shampoo
shampoo for thinning hair
...and similar keywords

Ad group 2 - Thinning hair solutions

Keywords
thinning hair solution
solution for thinning hair
solution for thin hair
...and similar keywords

The advantage
1. You can have very specific ad copy as per the keywords in the ad group. Use a title like - Shampoo for Thinning Hair in ad group 1 and a title like - Thinning Hair Solution in Ad Group 2. The result - Searchers will find your ads highly relevant with their query. Your CTR will be better, resulting in good quality score and low cost per click.

2. You can easily find which keywords work well for you as they are in different ad groups. Account optimization will be more effective and easy.

3. You can implement ad group specific negative keywords and bid strategy (very useful with generic keywords like 'thinning hair causes'.

Go through the information on the link below which has some good advice about your account structuring.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470

Hope this helps,

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi, further to the replies you've already received, I'd think carefully about the match type you use with your Keywords.  You'll want to avoid the basic Broad match as all of your words are very common and you'll end up with a very large number of impressions and poor CTR.

I'd suggest using the Modified Broad Match as an absolute minimum, e.g.

+thinning +hair +shampoo

and a number of Phrase matches as well, e.g.

"thinning hair shampoo"

Over time, as you gather data, you will be able to examine the search terms that are most useful and add other Phrase matches and Exact matches as appropriate.

More about Match Types

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Smiley Happy

If I have and adgroup for Dry Hair, another one for Brittle Hair but still there are searches for Dry Brittle Hair... Should I create another AdGroup or should I instead add the keywords to either the Dry Hair group or the Brittle Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 0906 S,

You may find this case study from PPC Professionals helpful with your keyword grouping questions. PPC Professionals explains the benefits of proper Adwords account structure in a case study featuring an e-commerce website using real examples and exemplifying their positive results. Find out how to reduce AdWords CPA by over 60% with Strategic Segmentation.

http://goo.gl/D09kpO