AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Group Naming

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Does the naming of your Ad Groups matter? Am I correct in thinking it isn't visible to the public, and only the headlines and descriptions are?

Many thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Group Naming

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Rachel,

Yes, you are correct the naming of your campaigns and ad groups are for internal use only. These will not display with your ads. The three things which will display are:

1. Headline - (25 characters)
2. Two description lines (35 characters each)
3. Display URL

Good luck with your AdWords account. Make sure to ask questions if you have any :-)

Best,

Stefan Martinez
Best,

Stefan Martinez
-- Not an AdWords expert, just a student eager to learn more...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rachel, welcome to the Community.  

The actual name of your Ad Groups doesn't affect your advertising so you can call them whatever you like and change them as often as you like.  However, I would advise that you use logical and planned names as this makes it a lot easier to decode the data you'll see in Analytics.

For example, I have a naming convention that I use for all my Campaigns as follows:

All my Campaigns begin with cob_ to identify my company, then jhg to identify that the Campaign is managed by me personally.  I then use a letter S, D or R to indicate a Search, Display or Remarketing Campaign.  If the Campaign is Time Zone specific - as most of mine are - I'll then include a Time Zone ident. I then follow this with a descriptive term, usually related to the product being sold/advertised so an example Campaign might be cob_jhg_S_PTZ_Ballet_Shoes.  This Campaign is therefore run by my company, managed by me, runs on the Search network in the Pacific Time Zone and advertises Ballet Shoes.  Note that I use underscores to separate the letters and words; AdWords allows ordinary spaces but I prefer to use underscores in case I ever export the data somewhere that might misinterpret a space.

My Ad Groups then follow the naming convention but in a shorter fashion so a Group in the above Campaign might be PTZ_BS_Red indicating that the Group belongs to the Ballet Shoes Campaign and this Group is for red shoes.

Having this sort of naming convention becomes increasingly important the more Campaigns and Groups you have.  Although it may seem like unnecessary detail, when you work with larger Campaigns on a regular basis - whether you're reviewing data in Analytics or in the AdWords interface or the Editor, it can save you time in the long run to be able to easily spot the Search Campaigns or those for a certain Time Zone.

In AdWords, of course, I also use Labels for broad identifiers, the advantage of which is being able to filter reports by label with just a couple of clicks.

In the past, Analytics used to report the name of a Campaign or Group as it was at the time of the click so if you changed a name you'd see the old name for older conversions/data.  A recent change now means that when you change the name of a Campaign that new name is shown for all data, even historical, which is a lot easier to work out!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great, thank you both!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is also a recommended practice to end your first description line with period in order to obtain a longer headline when your ad is displayed in the top 1 position.

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/02/longer-headlines-for-select-ads-on.html