AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad From Wrong Ad Group Being Displayed...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a product that would normally be referred to and searched for in one of a few ways:
Business Widgets
Executive Widgets
Corporate Widgets

They’re all the same thing but searchers may call them one of those three things.

I decided to create my ad groups based on the three names:
Business Ad Group
Executive Ad Group
Corporate Ad Group

I also did this so I could make my ad copy contain the specific keywords rather than grouping them all into the same ad group and then picking one word to represent them all.  This way I can do something like this:
Headline: Modern Business Widgets in the Business Ad Group
Headline: Modern Executive Widgets in the Executive Ad Group
Headline: Modern Corporate Widgets in the Corporate Ad Group

My keywords for each ad group are identical, I only replace the reference word:
“business widget”
“business widgets near me"
professional business widget

in the other ad group becomes:
"corporate widget"
etc, etc, etc.

However, for some reason ads from one ad group are coming up for searches for text in another ad group.  For example, if someone searches for:
Business Widget

The ad:
Headline: Modern Corporate Widgets

Is displayed.  How is this possible since the ad containing the headline "Modern Corporate Widget" is in an ad group that has NO keywords that contain the word "business".

Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GoldtopLP
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi GoldtopLP, 

I think this might be because you're using a broad-match keyword. Considering you're using the following keywords (please verify if that is the case):

“business widget” -> phrase match
“business widgets near me"  -> phrase match
professional business widget -> broad match

Since the third keyword is a broad match keyword, it can trigger ads to appear for search terms not including your main distinguishing reference word (business in this case). For example this keyword could trigger the ads to appear for search terms like [corporate widgets], [professional executive widgets], etc. because they are related.

Solution:
To be able to drive the right searches to the right adgroup you should only use Exact match, Phrase match and Broad match modified keywords. Replace the broad-match keywords you have by broad-matched modified, i.e. add + signs before every word. The ads will then show for searches that contain those modified terms but in any order.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks
Tobias

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GoldtopLP
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi GoldtopLP, 

I think this might be because you're using a broad-match keyword. Considering you're using the following keywords (please verify if that is the case):

“business widget” -> phrase match
“business widgets near me"  -> phrase match
professional business widget -> broad match

Since the third keyword is a broad match keyword, it can trigger ads to appear for search terms not including your main distinguishing reference word (business in this case). For example this keyword could trigger the ads to appear for search terms like [corporate widgets], [professional executive widgets], etc. because they are related.

Solution:
To be able to drive the right searches to the right adgroup you should only use Exact match, Phrase match and Broad match modified keywords. Replace the broad-match keywords you have by broad-matched modified, i.e. add + signs before every word. The ads will then show for searches that contain those modified terms but in any order.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks
Tobias

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

It's great that you are checking to find triggering issues!  If you notice this, then you want to add an ad group level negative to prevent the wrong ad from showing.

So in the business ad group, add the ad group level negative corporate.  This will fix the triggering issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My team actually noticed some weird ad things happening in our accounts too. I don't think you're crazy, I think something temporarily broke.

However, I would follow the advice of the other people and make sure your negative keywords are placed efficiently and correctly.