6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Copy Testing & Avg Pos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How do you ad copy test with varying positions? For example I ran a test and the control came back with 1.7% CTR at avg pos 3.2, whereas the variation had a 2% CTR at a position of 2.5, which is an +18% increase in CTR but the position had a difference of 0.7. Obviously higher spots on the page generally lead to a higher CTR so how is this calculated?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Copy Testing & Avg Pos

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Johnny,

First off, great job doing Ad testing!
You are right in your thinking, and thankfully AdWords is sophisticated enough to recognize your point that higher positions can often have higher CTRs.
Therefore, quality scores will reflect your CTR / performance at your current calculated competition against that of competition there.

If you haven't already, checkout the Top v. Other Segmenting.  It's another quick way to check your performance, https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454072?hl=en

And be sure to do some testing with Ad Extensions!

Keep on testing,
Justin

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Well... Though the concept of testing is interesting; there is one issue which could jeopardize the whole statistical testing... Smiley Surprised

Google does not report the standard deviation of the Avg. position, And without this parameter / figure, any statistical  analysis about  an avg. The position is statistically biased.

So, the results of your test - in my opinion - are within the margin of error. However, the  notion that the higher the position - the higher the CTR, is  - generally speaking - correct,  

(Though I have seen many exceptions:  ad-copy in higher positions poorly written reducing the CTR, Avg position #4, at the top right,  which brought excellent CTR... )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks - so I'm guessing there really isn't any solution or calculation to come to a conclusion.

On a side note @MosheTLV, I've heard/read that for the Top ads, headlines and display URLs are most important whereas for the side bar the description lines are, based off studies where they used heat maps to see where user's eyes are being drawn to most. Is this accurate with what you've seen?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Johnny K;

This is a past concept. With today's designs of SERP - I would take it with a grain of salt.

Johnny K wrote:

On a side note @MosheTLV, I've heard/read that for the Top ads, headlines and display URLs are most important whereas for the side bar the description lines are, based off studies where they used heat maps to see where user's eyes are being drawn to most. Is this accurate with what you've seen?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’