AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Being Displayed When It Shouldn't...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the following keywords in an ad group:
“headshot photographer”
“professional headshots”
“headshot photographers”
“headshot photography”
“professional headshot”

However, my ad from this ad group is being displayed for the search:
headshot photos

Why would this happen? Doesn't a phrase match mean it doesn't substitute related words?

According to adwords the click came on "headshot photographers".

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@GoldtopLP

What's happening here is close variant matching.  It's for common misspellings, stems, plural/singular etc.  This seems to be another example of this function overreaching that I've noticed lately.  One solution is to add photos and photo as a negative.  I understand that might not be an option for you.   I'm struggling with how to deal with law triggering for queries with lawyer in them.  I obviously don't want to miss queries that have law and lawyer in them together like "criminal law lawyer," but there are a lot of law queries without lawyer that I'm finding inappropriate.

You used to be able to turn off the close variants, but that is no longer an option.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @GoldtopLP,

Actually I would be more comfortable with the query if you had posted a screenshot of the issue. If what you are saying is not a misunderstanding at your end, chances are that the algorithm regarded the search term as a stemming of the keyword. (Though I for one would not agree with such a wide interpretation of stemmings.)

Google says this: "Phrase match lets a keyword trigger your ad to show only when someone searches for your exact keyword phrase, or close variations of your exact keyword phrase, with potentially other words before or after that phrase. Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents."

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well... Is this query "headshot photos" is irrelevant to your business?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’